overall
RATINGS: 2226   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

reverendj (185) - Brunswick, Georgia, USA - DEC 3, 2009
Maybe it’s the cold, but this has not impressed as other Stone brews have. Woody citrus nose that gets better with warmth. First impression is of earthy, grassy and somewhat boozy hops. Long bitter finish preceded by cask like flavours of rich malt. I enjoyed this brew despite it’s steep price.

marv3mania (185) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 11, 2014
Brown color with a tan-ish head. Aroma and taste both had rich caramel malt characteristics along with oak and vanilla. A bit of sweet toffee as well. I really liked this.

dolemite77 (184) - Maryville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2008
It doesn’t seem as hoppy to me as ABA (non -oaked), smells like a candy shop. I think this would probably cellar very well (Based on my results with a similar homebrew). Caramel continues to the flavor... Some people seem to think this is not much different than ABA, but I disagree. I got this at a different liquor store, so it could be fresher, or more aged, didn’t check the date on my prior rate for ABA...

linc33 (184) - Albany, New York, USA - MAR 25, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2010 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Holy crow. It’s Arrogant Bastard’s flavours plus a whole additional layer of flavour imparted from the wood. Not for the faint of heart - no beer I’ve had tastes like it, for better or worse.

moseslikesbeer (183) - conestoga, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2008
another one from the last Devonshire tasting. dark brown and cloudy. nice foamy head. aroma of coffee and malts. flavor was kind of bland but more hoppy than I thought it would be. had a burnt wood taste. left a strange film on the palate that I didn’t care for. too me this is a beer to sip on and take my time with.

mustangjoe (183) - redondo beach, California, USA - SEP 6, 2010
tap @Stone Brewery, nice frothy head with lingering lacing on glass. Reddish brown color. Woody, malty aroma. Alcohol noticeable as well, though not overly so. Nice malty flavor, with a bit of hops as well. Even though I would have liked an even stronger oak aroma and flavor profile, this was another outstanding Stone beer.

julieimagery (182) - Coconut creek, Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2012
Very good, much better than their regular arrogant bastard, it has a lot more malt and more pungent hop flavor.

couchand (182) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 8, 2008
Brilliant burnt umber, big straw head falling quickly but leaving rings. Subtle malty nose, some oak, a world of herbs and spices as well. Big and malty, with caramel, toast, and light sweetness. Strong hoppy bitterness. Some oak, ginger, and a light nutiness. Initially almost too thick, fading to a livelier, more drinkable palate. Remains somewhat cloying. I keep going back and forth on whether I could drink this whole six pack. edit: I could but I won’t.

3Faveryrogue (181) - Aslip, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2010
[A] Great mix of aromas. Maltiness releases sweet caramel, cookie, toffee, bready, brown sugary smells. Whilst the hops are very pungent, piney citrus. A wet oaky waft is a great touch over a spot of alcohol. [A] A ruby-amber hued brew. With a respectable tan cap. Thin foam never quite disappears. Beer sits calmly in glass. [F] The rosy oak character seems to hit me up front. Along with a blast of very harsh bittering hops. Malt seems far out of focus to the tastebuds this evening. Caramel sweetness very subdued, even on end. [P] The oak seems to add a pleasant dry character. And the hops are phenomenally bitter. But this is seemingly a one-and-done brew. Touch too much for an extended session. Although, I’m always up for a challenge. [O] I love hoppy brews, and I’ve enjoyed regular AB before, but this didn’t quite hit the spot tonight. Single bottle. Will sometime revisit.

eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - NOV 28, 2007
Arrogant Bastard has never been one of my favorite stone offerings. The oak tastes much the same to me. It still has this slightly syrupy feel on the palate I don’t like. The flavors are pretty good. The oaking seems to make only subtle differences.