overall
RATINGS: 593   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

ABUSEDGOAT (2759) - California, USA - AUG 26, 2007
Hazy orange, moderate head, good lacing and retention. Aroma is lightly spicy hops, a touch of caramel and pale malt. Very light, not enjoyable.

sethdude (706) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 23, 2007
A very solid, well done beer. Aroma is sweetly malty, a bit of nuttyness (yeast?), medium resiny notes of pine. Flavor is sweet, but certainly not too much so, balanced very, very well by the dry hops. Again with the nutty flavor, almosty like that yeast that NBB uses. I think the marketing department got thisone wrong. They should stop marketing this as a hop monster, and start singing the praises of balance and depth of flavor. Not at all what I was expecting, and that’s probably for the better.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - AUG 15, 2007
Tap in Estes Park, Co. Nice and refreshing beer after not having one for awhile. Certainly not as hop induced as an IPA but good for a Pale.

zombywoof (467) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - AUG 2, 2007
A llittle fruitier than most EPA’s than I’ve had. Thin body, dry finish soft carbonation. Not 100% in love with it,Norm.

Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 27, 2007
Poured a semi-cloudy amber with a very nice off-white head that receded slowly and offered up good lacing. The aroma was nice, with caramel, malt, floral hops and even a bit of citrus hops. The flavor was sweet caramel, lots of floral hops, malt and some citrus hops offering up a nice finish. Better than expected mouthfeel that flowed effortlessly.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Draft, Kenosha Steakhouse, Breckenridge CO. Amber with white head. ose of faint grassy hops, some piney hops, and faint toasty malt. Fairly thin, but with enough flavor to hold up. Not bad, but not great. Served in a plastic pint glass, jeepers.

drfabulous (7943) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - JUL 23, 2007
Clean taste. Nice English style. Slight hops, but just enough to do what they seem to want to. I was surprised with this one; I didn’t expect to like it.

MrBunn (2826) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 22, 2007
Bottle. Pour is a somewhat hazy and dark amber color... the dying head (about one finger right off the bat) is lacing nicely on the side of the glass. Lots of carbonation stuck to the side of the glass at first. Aromas are lovely. I’m picking up grapefruit and citrus scents along with hints of pine and a sweet malt presence. Flavor is quite unexpected based on the nose... It comes across as a little thinner and a little more of a bitter pucker than I would have guessed. The caramel/sweet malt presence that I was picking up on doesn’t come through cleanly. As a result this is a pretty hops driven pale ale. It’s nice, just a little different than I would have guessed.

scottmc (167) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - JUL 7, 2007
A classic American pale ale. Light body with a good amount of hops. Thicker than most pale ales

presario (4916) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 6, 2007
Orange-amber. Light soapy foam. Orange hoppy nose. Foamy orange tea pale ale taste. British in style with a certain funk. Hints of pepper and caramel.