overall
RATINGS: 593   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2007
Amber Coloring with Off White Creamy Head. Malty Grains, and Soft, But Strong Dry Hops on the Nose. Medium Mouthfeel, Well Carbonated. Sweet Grains, Malt..Light Caramel and Toffee...Alot of Dry Hops to Balance..Sweet Undertones and Dry Hop Finish. Could be a Good Summer Beer.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - APR 15, 2007
Amber color with a taller bigger bubbled dark cream colored head. Citrus aromas, but not the fresh, just squeezed type. More a lemon or grapefruit peel that sat on the kitchen counter overnight. Hints of scones and dough in the background. Actually a more traditional aroma as it sets. LIght apricot and mild citrus flavors. The citrus takes over closer to the finish and an earthy malt linger presides. Seems to be quite english, and unfortunately that means somewhat boring.

hepburn82 (143) - SCOTLAND - APR 11, 2007
A decent american IPA. Earthy hops, grapefruit aroma. Malty, and a good bitter finish. A tad harsh perhaps.

realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - APR 10, 2007
12oz bottle (thanks to Indra) poured a hazy copper/orange color with a lasting white head. Aroma was a musty citrus with sweet caramel malts. The flavor was well hopped from begining to end with a good malt balance. Not a bad english pale, but I still like the american style more.

drjay44 (3706) - Salida, Colorado, USA - APR 9, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2008 Draft,light and with minimal hopping. I cannot believe this is a microbrew as it is barely above an industrial. I will drink it again only to prevent extreme dehydration or if the alternative is a Bud. I have since tasted this again and while I still think it is light I have raised my overall impression somewhat.

smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - APR 3, 2007
pours slightly hazy orange with thin head. aroma skunky pine and citrus hop with some cocoa. taste is dominately citrusy/piney with biscuity malt and tiny hints bittersweet chocolate. finishes moderately bitter. pretty good brew.

donovan1983 (63) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - APR 2, 2007
Pours a somewhat cloudy amber, with a small head that fades relatively quick. Citrusy hops dominate the aroma. The flavour is also very citrusy and on the bitter side, with some malt. Not very smooth, it has an interesting mouthfeel that is somewhat "sharp" and definitely caused me to take notice. Malt flavour is more noticable in the finish and aftertaste, although both are dominated by bitterness and a grapefruit-like flavour. Overall pleasant to drink and I enjoyed the flavour. Great for drinking on a warm afternoon.

NewState (2) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 22, 2007 does not count
Bottle. Thin and unassuming. Smells good, but bitterness lingers. Hops are trying to break free, but fade quickly.

ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - FEB 18, 2007
Bottle. Poured a murky golden orange hint color. Aroma of citrus and malt. Taste is kinda chalky. With a semi nice finish.

ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - FEB 14, 2007
Tap. Pours a hazy blond-amber color, with a medium sized pillowy off white head. Aroma is floral hops, malt. Flavor is basically the same, some bittering hops, caramel malt. Palate is medium bodied, medium carbonation, mildly bitter finish. Decent effort here.