overall
RATINGS: 587   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Care for some hops with your hops? Before we ferment our 5 Barrel Pale Ale, we strain it through a bed of 'em. Then while it ages, we add even more. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively finish. We like hops.

As we go about refining the recipe for each new beer, we brew up just five barrels at a time. That's exactly how we arrived at this pale ale -- so that's what we named it. Plus, it sounded a lot nicer than Giant Vat Pale Ale.

Moonlight77 (10) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 Best Colorado beer I’ve had. Like its says very hoppy and fruity. Very drinkable, I find myself not getting turned off after a few.

rdenney18 (109) - Lawton, Iowa, USA - JUL 1, 2012
One of my favorite pale ales ever!!! I was pumped to find it available in omaha. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2008
Pours richly honey colored with a tall, lasting froth. Superb lacing with a full creamy canopy. Aromas of malted biscuits and a pinch of citrus. medium full nectar with good carbonation creating a fine, cotton soft texture. This is an outstanding specimen. Balanced malt to hop ratio brings out a wonderful citrus rind spiced biscuit laden maltiness. The finish is balanced with a lingering mild aspirin burn. Overall: it’s balanced and delicious with freshness at it’s peak. Theres a very subtle fruitiness that reveals itself as it warms. Delicioso!

Gooney (389) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2008
12 oz bottle - This was a complete surprise to me! Coming from Portland I’ll admit I’m a bit of a beer snob, but this little gem from Ft. Collins, CO just might be my new favorite pale ale! Although, I as an IPA fan the large amount of real flower hops made it very yummy. Please distribute in Oregon!!!

weisinator (67) - USA - SEP 15, 2005
On tap from Wyman’s Number Five in Denver: Very hoppy with well-balanced bitterness and malty sweetness.Slight fruity notes. I wouldn’t have known this existed if it weren’t for the coaster the waitress put down. I’m glad she did. I need to find this in bottles and have them shipped to me in Nebraska.

dailybrews (6) - st louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2006 does not count
The best pale ale out there. This beer has a light refreshing body as well as enough hops to satisfy the IPA lover. Beautifuly brewed. Four or five pints of 5 Barrel might start a love affair with this beer.

wesyates (81) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - OCT 26, 2013
Yes. Yes. Yes. My fave of my beer’sploration so far. Great color, appearance, head, balance, aroma. Huzzah!

AtronSeige (1707) - Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA - SEP 22, 2014
Aroma: Medium-high hops, fruity, citrus, orange. Medium malt, biscuity. Appearance: Body: Slightly hazy, copper. Head: Large, frothy head. Good retention. Flavour: Medium-high bitterness. Medium-light sweetness. Dry finish with lingering bitterness. Medium hops flavours, fruity, orange. Light malt Mouthfeel: Medium light body. Medium carbonation, creamy. Overall: Very nice! 355 ml bottle, poured. Thanks Andre! 10A. American Pale Ale

minutemat (6045) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - FEB 6, 2014
12 floz bottle from Beermoth, Manchester. Wondrously hoppy aroma, pours deep gold with bucketloads of finely tuned hops with a slight resinous quality and low-lying bitter finish. Tastes like an IPA.