overall
RATINGS: 802   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Richer than most amber ales, 90 Shilling is smooth & deeply satisfying, with a crisp, clean Colorado taste. The name comes from the old Scottish method of naming a brewery's beer, based on original gravity and resulting tax rating.

BetterRedFred's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BetterRedFred (65) - Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA - MAR 23, 2009
Lots of chocolate in this one, especially for an amber. Sort of an Irish Stout meets and Irish Red IMO. Balanced and tasty for a change pace, but certainly nothing to go out of your way for. Sam Adams Irish Red tastes better, is easier to find, and costs less. Need I say more?

blipp (9502) - La Mesa, California, USA - SEP 9, 2017
Draft in a plastic cup at the Phish show at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Pours amber orange with an off white head. Clean and malty, with low bitterness, faint residual sweetness, and crisp toffee notes. Honestly way better than I was anticipating, and really the perfect craft beer for a big concert setting like this--it's clean and super drinkable, but you still feel like you're drinking an actual beer. The setting is probably dictating the rating here, but this one deserves it in this situation.

Grumbo (3470) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 22, 2017
Bottle, from US. Backlog entry. Entering my historic scores for US beers whilst visiting New York. No tasting notes kept, just rating.

tfontana (1041) - Fremont, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 28, 2017
Bottle pour into shaker pint glass. Appearance is hazy, medium brown with nice sparkle, finger-width off-white head, and nice lacing. Aroma is bready malts, mild nuts. Taste is as aroma. Palate light-to-medium bodied with average carbonation and finish as taste. Overall, this is a good beer. It is not staggering nor influential but is a good drink.

hauxe (860) - Butzbach, Hesse, GERMANY - JUL 27, 2017
Pours amber from the bottle. Aroma is dandelion, boquet of garden weeds, cereal, a bit dank. Taste is mildly bitter, but still relatively malt forward. Mild fruity undertones. Overall a mild, understated effort that tastes better as it warms.

JohananaV2 (278) - Hurst, Texas, USA - JUL 11, 2017
I was really pleased with this beer. It was a delicious amber ale, pretty nice out of the bottle. I would love to try it on tap ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

euniceradio (555) - Worthington, Minnesota, USA - JUL 7, 2017
12oz bottle to tulip. Pours hazy deep amber, beige frothy head. Aroma of brown sugar, red malts, caramel. Taste of same with light spice and stone fruit.

chinchill (5163) - South Carolina, USA - JUN 23, 2017
12 oz can at Phelps Lake, WY. Cleat copper boxy with a large beige head. Very good retention. Nice malt forward, rich flavor. Good, bitter sweet balance: lightly bitter. Hearty. Smooth medium full feel with soft carbonation.

balloonbuffoon (480) - - APR 11, 2017
12floz bottle, BBD 06.14.2017, $1.50 for a single (I’ve had before on draft and from the bottle), poured into a pint glass. Translucent amber in color and the head forms continental bodies atop. Caramel creme permeates from the glass that I drinketh. Thy tasteth an adequate ale for a mere mortal, toasted malt and medium in character.

DraftCaptain49 (38) - - APR 6, 2017
Not a fan of this out of the bottle, my beer strike-outs continue. Pretty good out of a tap though. Dry, dull amber. If this is the flagship then the ship has sailed. This beer is far behind the times, then again I don’t know why I’m buying a style I don’t particularly like. I used to like this but it’s so 2005. I feel like I’m back in high school when I’m drinking this. Or 2009, because I could drink then. Such an average beer, I don’t know why people buy stuff like this. I want a stout, never enough stouts in bottles for a good price at the liquor store. Odell is a good brewery but I won’t get this again.

tmoreau (4523) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - MAR 12, 2017
12 oz. bottle poured to a Czech-pils glass at home showing a clear & bright, slightly rosy amber color, with a persistent layer of off white/light tan suds, and wavy lacing that gradually turned web-like. The nose was toasted, malty, light caramel sweetness, with dried fruit notes. Medium bodied, with decent carbonation, the taste was similar notes, malty creaminess, and earthy, slightly roasted bitterness, with some warmth toward the finish. Clean drinkability, but 90 shilling?