Old Capitol Dirty Blonde Chocolate Ale

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 2.92/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92/5   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

Most RecentTicked By

drpimento (3714) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 11, 2016
Poured with a small off white head that quickly faded no lace and a hazy amber color. Aroma is old beer with a hint of chocolate. Flavor is similar to nose, more sweet than bitter, slight amount of carbonation. Found this squirreled away chilled, in an old cooler since God knows when.

nonabusiness (2) - USA - MAY 1, 2006 does not count
Smooth, delicious, not too carbonated. This beer had a distinct chocolate aroma, but not too overpowering in its flavor. Not bitter, not sweet, very well balanced with no unpleasant after-taste. Seemed to be enjoyed very much by the women, but also appreciated by the men.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Had this one at their "Confection Affection" about a month ago, but it was about the 7th beer I had tried, so my palette was pretty well shot. Just brought a growler of the stuff home. Pours a clear light golden with a small, dissipating head. As far as chocolate goes in this beer, I may possibly be able to smell a little milk chocolate--but if I hadn’t known that this had chocolate in it, I don’t think I could do it. I can smell fresh sugar cookies though, and a hint of some spice. Taste is bread and sweet maltiness, along with a little bit of the sugar cookies again. Aftertaste is of old spent grains. Soft carbonation--this beer gets some points for originality.

heemer77 (5358) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - FEB 28, 2006
Medium gold body with a thin whit ehead. The aroma was old hard cherry candy. There was also some sweet pumpkin bread and nutmeg. I had trouble pulling out the chocolate in the nose. The taste was sweet ginger with some light bananas or peaches. Just a hintof chocolate in the finish.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 12, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2007 Original rating 2/12/06: Draft at the brewpub. Golden-orange color with a thin white head. According to one of the brewers, the "chocolate" designation comes not from the color of the beer nor the choice of malted barley, but rather from the chocolate infused into the beer. The aroma and flavor are more reminiscent of cream soda than chocolate, however. Maybe white chocolate? Very unusual beer. 4/3/5/3 - 11 Re-rate 2/16/07: Draft. This version was better than the one I had last year. Clear yellow in color with a white head that had good retention and some lacing. I could distinctly smell and taste the chocolate in this version and I didn’t sense the cream soda this time. 6/3/6/3 -12