overall
Brewed by Ölvisholt Brugghús
Style: Smoked
Selfoss, Iceland

RATINGS: 616   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Í desember 2008 fór svo fyrsta sending til Svíþjóðar en hún fer á markað á völdum stöðum í byrjun árs 2009. Þar eru á ferðinni þeir kumpánar Skjálfti og Móri en einnig hinn stórbrotni Lava sem er engum líkur. Hann er dekkri en nýstorknað hekluhraun, 9,4% að styrkleika og inniheldur 70% reykt malt sem skilar sér vel í eftirbragði. Þessar vörur munu verða fáanlegar í sænska ríkinu (Systembolaget) og á völdum börum og veitingastöðum.

Smoked imperial stout with a thick brown head. Sweet with chocolate and roasted malt in the flavour. The aftertaste is roasted malt, smoke and warming alcohol. Aroma of smoke chocolate and a bit of alcohol.

MrBunn (2865) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Bottle that was opened with some excitement... First thing I notice is a fizzy head that makes me worry a bit... Way too much and way too fizzy for an imperial stout. Doesn’t smell infected, though, so I charge on. It’s about two thirds of the glass fizz when after the pour, but aromas are yummy... Just a hint of smoke, but loads of dark fruit and burnt sugar. Flavor is fruit heavy... Prunes, black cherries, and such... With a bit of smoke on the tail end. Pretty decent, maybe a little thin for an imperial stout, but I’d take another... If I could afford it...

thegreenrooster (4626) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Pour is a all black with a small tan head. Aroma is sweet roasted malt with some smoke, nothing over the top, and some molasses. Flavor is more smoky than the aroma but still not a total meat bomb. Some thick and heavy malt show up with some sugary black molasses. I agree with another rater on here that this is more of a smoked than an impy stout. No real hops are present but it is still a damn tasty beer with the smoke and dark malts fighting it out.

Seffle (475) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - JAN 12, 2013
Maffig rökig. Välmatad stout. Eftersmaken ändå inte vad doften lovar. Bär sin promille med den äran. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

hayduke (5731) - Eureka, California, USA - JAN 11, 2013
The 500 ml bottle came from Paul’s Grocery in McCall, ID from the discount bin.where I paid $6.,98. Poured jet black with a huge foamy tan head. Thick lacing. Nose of roasted malts with a big dose of smoke. full body. Very creamy mouthfeel.. Flavor is rich with lots of smoky matls and some chocolate. Light bitterness in the finish. Really good smoked beer

sseb69 (1980) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 9, 2013
Bouteille 500 ml. 9.4%. Couleur noire opaque, mousse brune. Arôme de chocolat, café noir et fumée du grill. En bouche, sirupeuse, douce, équilibre incroyable entre le malt grillé, café, alcool, fumée et notes de choco. Finale avec une légère amertume, pain grillé, café..un peu de bois vanillé. Excellent équilibre.

VT (2527) - Quebec City, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 7, 2013
500 ml bottle. Pours a nice old black with a resilient beige head. Smell is smoke, coffee and black chocolate. Taste is smoke, coffee, burnt caramel, roast, somewhat salty. Finish is smoke, pinetree, ash, burnt. Lots of lingering smoke. Light to medium body. Average carbonation. Style on the bottle said Smoked Imperial Stout - I felt this lacked complexity for an Imperial Srtout, but it was quite a good smoked beer.

poisoneddwarf (2688) - Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho, USA - DEC 31, 2012
16.9 oz bottle. Pours opaque black with a medium tan head with good retention. Aroma initially consists of dough and Whoppers before the smokiness comes through. Taste is smoky and chocolatey and ends on a bitter note. Mouthfeel is oily and the carbonation is medium to soft. Nice one.

demmbonz (784) - Erin, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 27, 2012
(From a non smoke lover) This is a great stout in many ways, but the lingering smoke aftertaste just turns me off. I wouldn’t have rated it but i wanted the Iceland check.

1.3
neontb (70) - - DEC 22, 2012
Bottle pour in Iceland. Maybe this beer is just not my style, but I thought it was horrendous. Smoky flavor tastes artificial and its nearly syrupy. I will never touch this beer again.

mojorisn (26) - - DEC 22, 2012
I drank this a few times last year. I like it a lot but I can’t rave about it. This year I picked it up again and I must say it’s an odd bird, and of course that’s a good thing. There’s a bit of chocolate in the aroma but most roasted coffee and a lot of smoke. Palate is good but I think it could work better with less carbonation. Taste is very nice though, but not a standout for me. A bit boring but also nice in that way, if this we’re to be my favourite style or something, it exudes a classic quality. Very dry and subtle, with an understated sweetness and very bitter smoky lengthy finish. A nice beer to savour if in the mood, but by no means a thirst quencher.