overall
RATINGS: 2210   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

JK (6342) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 18, 2005
Wow. The aroma certainly is complex as the description says. There is fruit and malt, also roast beef and caramel. Dark red, with a large off white head that falls down, lacing the glass. One of the nicest looking beers I have had. Flavor is mostly malt. There is some dried fruit and sugar. Very full bodied. An excellent beer, and a great value.

Lubiere (14262) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 12, 2005
Brown copper ale with light moka head. Light coriander and sweet malt in aroma, with vinous qualities. Rich malt and barley sugar with coriander and sour apples. Rich bodied Belgian ale, always a pleaser! Tap at CNY brewfest, Feb.5 2005.

mawgspawn (8) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2005 does not count
Yeah, I smell the cherry, and a bit of prune in there as well, but I for one have to say that for me at least, this beer looks better than it drinks. I found it to be rich in color, yet poor on taste. I just didn’t get anything really special from this beer. Sure it goes down smooth, but there was nothing in it I havent tasted in a number of other beers. I was disapointed after all the hype this one has gotten.

mephisto (1301) - TAIWAN - MAR 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2005 a very nice triple. deep burgundy w/ moderate head. fruity aroma w/ and nice body. i am quite impressed w/ this ’american’ triple.

Psylocke (91) - st-constant, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 5, 2005
not my style too sour for me but maybe really good for others The apparance is the best point to this one

2philosophers (16) - Ridgewood, New York, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Had the “cave aged” bottle at Blind Tiger Ale House in Manhattan. Sixteen bucks. It’s a deep red with a nice thick head. I’ve aged this beer in my apartment before, and its usual flavor intensified then, but this takes it to another level entirely. The cave-aged version has a perfumey aroma and a much richer, fruitier flavor. It’s quite strongly alcoholic and very satisfying. Goes very well with chocolate. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 2, 2005
Aroma:Sugar and apple... Appearance:Red,brown small brown head... Flavor:Sugar,wine,grape and small bitterness...

fuyajo (229) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Dark carmel color, opaque. Slightly sweet, citrusy smell - very pleasent. Smooth, with a nice mouthfeel. The taste is slightly fruity and bitter. I’m not a big fan of the licorace flavor. Not my favorite Belgian, and I wouldn’t buy it again.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - FEB 27, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2007 Very dark ruby color with a huge creamy tan head. Aroma is fruity with hints of cherry and plum. Flavor starts honey sweet with notes of prune and liquorice a touch of tartness in the middle with a long dry finish. Smooth creamy palate. A little rich, but a nice belgian strong.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - FEB 27, 2005
Well, I guess I am the first to rate the "cave aged" version of Ommegang. One of 3840 bottles aged in Howe Caverns at a depth of 156 feet and at a constamt temperature of 52 degrees from March 4, 2004 through September 30, 2004. Is it a gimmick?? We’ll see. Murky mahogany pour with a milky tan head. Yeastly aroma, with dark pit fruit dominating the nose. Smells nice. Smoooooth, this is really nice. Sweet honey-like start, nice muffled fruitiness, starting to bitter ever-so-slightly toward the end. This is very drinkable, perfect mouthfeel, nice dry finish. Malty, complex, silky smooth, maybe the cave aging did help. This is a truely great example of a belgian strong ale.