overall
RATINGS: 2248   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Megan (101) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 1, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 9, 2005 Update: Had at 05 Beer Fest. Had to re-rate- by far, this was Best in Show. Pretty ambery color and fruity aroma. Fizzy mouthfeel, carmely and fruity flavor. Interesting after taste. Complexity reminds me of red wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - NOV 30, 2004
Poured deep cherry like a nice wood door.HUGE Head.Smelled Fruity almsot port like. Strong Alcohol presence here. But also felt the fizzy in my nasal septum. I kind of liked it. It has a sweet mouth fell and I know the alcohol will come out as it warms. I have seem wine ratings, and then I saw that this had a 96, kind of high. WOW, really strong %.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hawkshadow (107) - Rural Retreat, Virginia, USA - NOV 27, 2004
Too wangy (a word?) I assume it is the high alcohol content that ruins the flavor. Im amazed that high alcohol content beers continue to get high marks. To me it really takes away from the overall complexities of flavor. Wouldnt buy again.

lachesis (757) - St Idesbald, BELGIUM - NOV 13, 2004
NIce dark brown beer with reddish shine and medium tan head. Color and smell of tropical wood. This beer has complex aromas of soft spices, tuttefrut, plumpudding, orange marmalade and some starannice. It has an outstanding taste with a very complex smooth mouthfeel. In the taste we find touches of black chocolate, orange zest, vanilla, plums, fine Portwine, cake like hints and uzo. In the afthertaste there is a light bitterness of ( Prunacine )= a medicinale plum based sirup.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Decent beer. Definitely had high expectations becuase of another well known ale from this brewery called three philosophers. This is a rich ale with a strong flavor. I had to check the bottle to make sure I wasnt drinking a double ale. I would buy this beer again. It had a nice dark body with a good head and aroma. The flavor could stand to be alittle milder.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Man, for some reason I didnt enjoy this at all. Somehing was feckin weird about it. Had some weirdo taste like I was chewing on an oak tree covered in brown sugar and captain morgans that had just caught fire the night prior. Maybe I should have poured it instead of drinking it straight from the bottle. I guess I owe it another try, and will, and hopefulyl give it a better review. It smelt nice....I think. Or maybe that was my Marc Jacobs cologne.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - NOV 8, 2004
Murky orange-brown with an orange head. Subtle aromas but big flavor. So Ommegang can do what Chimay cant. This ale had big complex flavors of dark rum and fuitcake (which I love). Much better than the Chimay Bleu which tasted like cheap fortified wine (reminiscent of Richards Wild Irish Rose ) Yes, this is quite flavorful and delicious. Very nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 5, 2004
It what they say it is. Very large. Red-brown head that sticks around by effervesent blooms that dont go away. Hazy red-brown color isnt quite burgundy, but will do. Nice raisiny or dried apricoty aroma. Big flavor of dried fruit and molasses, keeps on comin on. Beer needs to open to be appreciated. Ya gotta love this brewery, wish it was in Wisconsin.

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - NOV 5, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2005 Oh, what a great beer! Poured into a snifter, where the head stayed the whole time. Rich, fruity dark fruit taste, hints of caramel,. Pleasant bitterness, not too much. Suggest this beer to all, will try more from Ommegang!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerDude78 (91) - Brick NJ, New Jersey, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Pours a dark brownish color. Almost has a taste similar to Westvleteren. Has hints of caramel, plums,and figs.Head has an nice brown foamy color that sticks around.