overall
RATINGS: 2210   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

mds (2256) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 27, 2005
bottle. pours a deep dark brown with a huge tan head. aroma consists of yeast, malt, cheese, various fruits, and perhaps a little bit of alcohol. oh what a glorious brew! sweet, malty, and largely complex. full body. long lingering finish. this is truly a great belgian style ale.

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2005
Beautiful ale. Deep russet brown with some red. Aroma is very sweet--dried cherries with yeast. Nice malt profile with anise elements. Finishes tart in the back of my throat. Seems like it would be even better cellared.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 19, 2005
12oz - Smells of prunes, cherry, and carmel. A muddy brown with medium off-white head and no noticalbe lacing. A nice flavorful ale with a lasting aftertaste. Malty with prunes, cherry, and other fruity flavors. I will come back to this brew later in life and will like it more I bet.

IslandHaole (1301) - Misawa, JAPAN - FEB 14, 2005
Over the past week I’ve been getting my hands all over some sweet West Coast girls (and loving every hoppy drop) but I thought I’d better return to my true love, Belgians. But this affair has a twist, she’s American. And WOW, talk about a beauty, she’s a dark beauty (don’t start singing "Night moves") with cinnamon hues and a tan colored mane. She’s full bodied, sweet and rich. Just the way I like ’em. She has prunes and brandy on her breath and though she’s chewing some sort of spicy herbal gum, I can tell she’s been drinking a bit, I do catch a whiff of alcohol. When she wetted my lips for the first time and as my tounge swirled in her flavor I appreciated her complexity and refined tastes. I confessed my brief flings with those West Coast hoppy girls, and she has forgiven me. Though we just met, I’m in love. Happy Valentines Day!

ABUSEDGOAT (2901) - California, USA - FEB 10, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2007 Hazy reddish brown, moderate head with solid lacing and retention. Aroma is raisin, sugar, yeast, various darker fruits. Sorta like a Dubbel.

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Dark brown with ruby edges and a thick beige head. Aroma of pear/apple and cherries. Pleaseantly sweet. Taste is yeasty and spicey with notes of apple/pear first then giving way to dark fruit/raisins, caramel, cherries and some molasses. A slight touch of alcohol in the finish along with some toasty and roasty malts. Pretty complex and multi-layered. Mouthfeel is full and round with lively carbonation. Very solid.

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Pours brown with ruby highlights, with a light tan head that leaves a full parallel lacing on the glass. One of the most attractive belgians I’ve ever seen. Nose is vinous grapes, spices, and butterscotch. Flavor is excellent, smooth and sweet. Sweet dry grapes and butterscotch candy. The finish is dry enough to remind you you’re drinking a world-class beer, rather then a belgian milkshake. Alcohol? What alcohol? Creamy palate. This beer is easily on par with the top true belgians. I found it even better crafted than the highly-respected Chimay Bleu. A true gem, and an incredible value. I can’t wait to try the cave-aged bottle in my cellar.

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Nice dark redish brown hue with a creamy foam head on top. The aroma is bready sweetness with cherries and candy sugar as well. Palate is a slight bit crisp, and the rest very smooth. Flavor is rather respectable, but nothing amazing. Damn good value at only $4.50 however.

openwindow (67) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 2, 2005
A wonderful brew. Beautiful dark amber color. Smell has a bouquet of scents in it: something lemony, something sweet, and even something floral almost. Wonderful hop taste up front with a smooth finish. Hard to believe such a high alcohol % from something so smooth!

Schooly (2) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
Delicious. Good size brownish red head that even tastes great. Once you get to the dark amber liquid though, it’s a real treat. Taste of cherries was most prominent for me, but not overpowering. I did note the chocolate and caramel too. I got two of these in my beerswap, and will be buying an entire case very soon.