overall
RATINGS: 2204   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep burgundy color with a big, fluffy head. Complex fruit aromas with a layered sweetness (honey, then caramel, then toffee) with a hint of licorice and chocolate. A big, rich, abbey-style ale that dries out nicely on the finish.

Vestlake (279) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - AUG 14, 2013
Bottle pour, no head. Aroma is kind of like sour red wine. The taste is the same. Not enjoyable at all. Nothing at all like the other reviews. Maybe it was a bad batch.

mawgspawn (8) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2005 does not count
Yeah, I smell the cherry, and a bit of prune in there as well, but I for one have to say that for me at least, this beer looks better than it drinks. I found it to be rich in color, yet poor on taste. I just didn’t get anything really special from this beer. Sure it goes down smooth, but there was nothing in it I havent tasted in a number of other beers. I was disapointed after all the hype this one has gotten.

eczematic (1325) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUN 14, 2003
smelt like a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag. flavour was definitely bulbous, though slow. combination of red winey acidity and super-estery pineapple lolly notes, or should i say chords cause they're all over the bloody thing. definitely out there - points for originality but not for enjoyability.

Hildigöltur (5103) - København, DENMARK - AUG 18, 2005
Bottled. Reddish brown coloured. Yeasty aroma with notes of fruits. Very sweet and yeasty flavour with loads of caramel and toffee. Extremely high carbonation level.

Beerbo (20) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUL 18, 2010
First, let me say this is my First beer rating here and I Do Not like this style of beer. The bottle says i’s a "rich, fruity, aromatic, burgundian brew." I’d agree with that, but the problem is, if I wanted burgundy, I’d buy a bottle of WINE, no t this. I had a few sips of it and started using it for cooking. I can imagine some of you now laughing at me, but I don’t care. That’s all it’s good for, except for one thing: more than any other beer I’ve tried, it goes well with pasta and tomato sauce. Most beer drinkers should take caution when considering this one. Cheers!

Berard (639) - Salem, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 9, 2014
Bottle. Pours brown with thick creme colored head. Smells like a wheat abbey ale and tastes such. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Fratto (2845) - Arlington, Texas, USA - SEP 14, 2009
Doesn’t taste like other Belgian Stong Ales that I’ve had. Aftertaste is awkward.

AwYeh (102) - Canton, Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2010
Aroma is overwhelmingly sweet, of undistinguishable dried fruit. Pours a cloudy reddish brown, with a foamy, resilient tan head. Taste is far too sweet for me; raisins and dates are clear, along with a bit of alcohol. I don’t get any of the subtle coffee I had heard others mention. After swallowing, an unpleasant sticky fills my mouth like I had just swallowed cough syrup and I was tasting its coating.

1.3
Caytinator (1005) - Waco, Texas, USA - NOV 3, 2012
I don’t know if I had a bad taste or what...it didn’t taste skunked, though. It’s the worst abbey Dubbel I’ve had, notwithstanding. I’d try it again to make sure, but I wouldn’t pay the $15/bottle they’re asking. Bitter taste instead of malty, thinner than I’m used to - neither big or rich. Dull brown color, not really burgundy.