RATINGS: 607   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
This fine pale ale has citrus and tropical fruit aromatic shared with a well-balanced – yet abundant – hop character. It uses our own Belgian yeast, five malts, two hops, and plenty of patience. Finishing touches include dry-hopping with Cascade hops and warm-cellaring.

presario (4925) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 3, 2010
Bottle. Light amber. Thin head. Soapy hop scent. Finish is a little soapy but also fishy. Flavour is a light yeasty Belgian inspired Pale Ale. I guess they hit their target. I find the yeast weighs too heavy on the delicate pale ale creating the worlds first "dry chalked beer" with a hint of lemon.

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - AUG 31, 2010
Copper pour with creamy white head and lace. Light earthy hops and brown sugar. Semi sweet caramel malt, light spicey, a hint of brown sugar. A tad thin with a bit off carbonation.

VTHopHead (1513) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - AUG 29, 2010
Draft at the Three Penny Taproom - Pours a dark golden amber in color with a thick white head. Aroma is heavy with Belgian yeast and citrus hops. Flavor was a bit more complex... still the Belgian yeast and citrus hops, but add a deeper citrus flavor along with some honey and biscuit malt. It works for me... I like it...

dmac (6646) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2010
750 ml bottle cork and caged purchased at Canal’s Hainesport. Poured a hazy straw edged sunset burnt orange body under a slightly foamy off white head. Aroma of yeast, tropical fruit, toast, nutts, slight honey and a hint off toffee flavored candle wax. Medium to lighter bodied with soft carbonation. Flavors of honey, wax, toffee, biscuit, grains, yeast, bitter fruit and seltzer. Interesting and then some.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2010
Not one of my favorites. To strong on the Belgian side for me. But it was what I expected from a Belgian Brewery. If you like the Belgian beers this is for you.

Brigadier (3800) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2010
750 ml bottle
The bar was set kind of high for this beer which is why it may have fallen short. Regardless I could not get into it all that much despite an interesting mixture of flavors and texture. That won’t stop me from keeping up with Ommegang as they crank out new experiments like the Zuur and a Scottish ale however. Just make sure to get a fresh bottle and you should be fine.

Aroma / Appearance - Carbonated and bronze the appearance did not give away anything other than the expected. A rich white head was so intense it took a few minutes for the beer to actually settle to a drinkable level. Grapefruit, orange rinds, melons, and strands of cotton candy give it a fruity playful tone.

Flavor / Palate - The fluid mouthfeel is light with little residual impact on either the tongue or throat. Fading almost like the cotton candy it tastes like the delicacy is a minor turnoff. I was not expecting a huge in your face statement. It is nice though for the finish to last more than two seconds. I can’t complain about the cost though - at $5.99 this was very much in the affordable "check it out" price bracket.

natejgood (537) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - AUG 13, 2010
Pours a clear light golden color with an off-white head and many tiny bubbles racing toward the surface. The head is made of fairly tiny bubbles, but craters nicely. This beer has a nice citrus aroma with hints of sweet honey. The flavor is light belgian and is maltier than I would have thought based on the aroma. This beer is easy drinking, relatively light flavored and feels fairly crisp in the mouth. This is a fairly good belgian styled ale.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 7, 2010
Corked bottle and served in my Ommegang tulip: Slightly hazy golden hue topped by a fluffy white head which left spotty lacework upon the glass. The aroma has notes of citric PNW as well as milder herbal noble hops, lots of fruity esters (mango, pineapple, grapefruit, pear), moderately hop spiced with pepper and clove, pale pils and two-row malts, and a dusty yeast vapour. The taste is moderately reserved which is a good thing as too many of these hoppy Belgian Ales I have had of late are too hop forward and honestly clash... that is NOT an issue with the BPA. The hops work very well with the malt bill providing a approachable balance yet still interesting complexity that hits the spot. The moderate fruity component and finishing hop spice tones add to the palate. Only the slight metallic undertone caused me concern. The mouth feel is lively but there is a growing chalkiness that I find annoying after awhile.

Overall I found this to be a solid offering that I would gladly try again. I think Ommegang’s history and respect to the Belgian styled ales kept them grounded to what this beer should be, not overly hopped to the point of becoming an IPA and for that I am happy. If only this brew was cleaner and less chalky/metallic then this would be a higher level of happiness.

RAYBOY01 (2010) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 6, 2010
Golden pour floating a big robust fluffy white head. Aromas of cirusy hops and phenolic Begian yeast esters. In this case, "phenolic" is not meant as a knock...I liked the strong Belgian yeasty profile...both in the nose and in the flavor. Citrus notes throughout...orange and lemon, along with some light floral hoppiness as well. Really light and refreshing on this hot summer night.

cfrancis (3637) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 6, 2010
On tap at Ginger Man. Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a big frothy white head. Aroma is citrus, banana, hop and yeast. Taste is a big mouthfeel and body. Hop flavour is very full and is nicely offset by the citrus and belgian yeast. Really well balanced beer. I’ve had a couple of other "belgian-ale" and this is probably the best balanced one I’ve had so far. Very good beer.