overall
RATINGS: 2340   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This style is a farmhouse ale, and is considered to be in the domain of the Belgian Saisons. Hennepin is a delicious brew for all seasons, it is spicy and refreshing. A moderately hoppy, farmhouse-style ale with a champagne-like effervescence, Hennepin has a crisp start followed by malt sweetness balanced with a firm bitterness. Hennepin has a bounty of great flavors: ginger, spice, orange and toasted grain. Pouring a bright golden color with a spicy-sweet balance of orange peel, sweet malt, hops and ginger, Hennepin makes way for a dry finish with a slight bite of ginger.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 21, 2005
In the big bottle. Pours a banana colored yellow with a monstrously lage white head. Aroma has citrus, coriander and yeasty esters. Flavor is delightfully clean and tart with a fine bitterness. Good, but not awesome.

Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 18, 2005
I tried this beer along with it’s sister (The Ommegang Belgian Strong) and I honestly had trouble telling the two appart. I really guess I ought to try them side by side again to pay closer attention to the differences. Then again, maybe I just wasn’t paying close enough attention to the beers in the first place. Like I mentioned in my other Ommegang rating, these beers are EVERYWHERE in NC now. It’s a little crazy. I kind of wish the Imperial Stouts and IPAs and other stronger American and English style beers were as widely available as these Belgian style ales.

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Bottle. Pours very cloudy pale yellow. Lots of carbonation in the pour. Very thin white head. Mostly yeasty aroma, with some hints of over ripe fruit. I taste a little bit of spice and fruit, maybe banana. Carbonated and a little tart mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden. Finishes a little sour. This is my first of this style.....it’s not bad.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 17, 2005
This is a great brew to bring out after the softball team has had one or two macro’s Their intial thirst is quenched and this has a little body but that great thirst quenching tartness and crispness that will make them slow down and appreciate a great taste

Zeswaft (1773) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 14, 2005
I can’t really tell the difference between this and any other belgian beer. Just that i like it better because it is not as strong

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2005
How have I never rated this? I thought I had rated it so I just took a few notes on the cave aged version. I’ll get a proper rating up here someday. The cave aged is hennepin with everything smoothed out. Corrainder, meaty malt/ginger, lemon, yeast. That alcohol burn is gone. Everything about this is right. I need to buy a few cases and cellar them.

Jayhawk (5) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 12, 2005 does not count
I first had this beer at an awards show in New York city (where I won) which could explain my fondness for it. It has a beautiful color and aroma and the taste does not dissapoint. A near perfect blend of flavor and crispness.

JohnnyFlake (53) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - OCT 6, 2005
12oz. bottle - pours a hazy intense yellow with orange hues. The head is small about 3/4" but last a long time and there is dramatic lacing all the way down. Aroma is mostly malt and yeast with hints of banana. The flavor is malty, with yeast and some fruity nuances. The alcohol is there but not too intrusive. Mouthfeel is fizzy, yet creamy and full. A very enjoyable Saison!

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2005
Yellow color tall well laced white head. smells of yeast ginger orange rind and some spices. Fairly avg bodied palate. Flavor is spicy yeasty with hints of ginger. Decent saison.

JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - SEP 30, 2005
12 oz. bottle. My first Saison-style and at first taste, it seems somewhat akin to a Belgian Golden. The color was a golden straw with a thinnish white head. The aroma is subtle and a little spice and earthiness. The operative word for the brew is crisp, both for mouthfeel and taste. Very nice.