overall
RATINGS: 2275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This style is a farmhouse ale, and is considered to be in the domain of the Belgian Saisons. Hennepin is a delicious brew for all seasons, it is spicy and refreshing. A moderately hoppy, farmhouse-style ale with a champagne-like effervescence, Hennepin has a crisp start followed by malt sweetness balanced with a firm bitterness. Hennepin has a bounty of great flavors: ginger, spice, orange and toasted grain. Pouring a bright golden color with a spicy-sweet balance of orange peel, sweet malt, hops and ginger, Hennepin makes way for a dry finish with a slight bite of ginger.

fishonmyplane (505) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - NOV 14, 2003
My first Saison. It has a nice golden hue with a tall white head. Carbonation is fairly high. The aroma is mainly of yeast and fruit; this is certainly representative of a belgian-style ale. The flavor is very tangy, with lots of citrus and fruit. I detect apricot, grapes, and a bit of strawberry. Surprisingly, I don't taste a whole lot of yeast. And they didnt make much of an effort to mask the alcohol content, which really comes through in the finish; for me this is a good thing. This is a very complex and well-done beer, although I didnt really get accustomed to it until I was halfway done with the 750 ML bottle.

lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2003
Aroma is very much like that of a Belgian White, although perhaps a bit more alcoholic (due most obviously to this beer's 7.5% ABV, higher than normal for the witbier style). However, comparing it to wits isn't entirely appropriate since this seems to be categorized as a Saison. Anyway, the appearance is a little more clear than I'm used to and definitely not as appealing as a nice hazy look would be. The color is good, but usually I'm looking for a bit more depth. Flavor is slightly citrusy up front with a spicy, alcoholic finish. I didn't particularly like the mouthfeel associated with the "extra" alcohol. I didn't think it was masked very well (i.e. it didn't go well with the rest of the beer) and made it weird overall.

bu11zeye (13140) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - NOV 9, 2003
(Bottle) Nice attmept of a Belgian Saison, but no cigar... Pours a light golden color with a medium creamy head. Descent, but not the best Ommegang has to offer.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 7, 2003
I think Ommegang is one of the best breweries around. The Hennepin is, however, my least favorite of their beers. It pours a light golden color. The head is full and cream colored. The taste is full with nice balance. The alcohol is noticeable in this beer and not well masked. The yeast is a bit strong for my taste. Overall a good, but not great, beer.

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 7, 2003
12 oz. bottle. Poured cloudy and the color of ripe apricots. Nice white head that dissipated to a thin creamy layer that lasted and lasted. Aroma is fruity, spicy and yeasty - orange, peach, cardamom and hops. Delicious maltiness with lots of fruit, citrus hops and sharp spiciness that lingers in the finish. Medium body with pleasant carbonation. I find that I'm getting more fond of Belgians with each one I drink.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - NOV 2, 2003
I had low expectations of this beer but liked it quite a bit. White mostly lasting head on a hazy yellow body. Wonderful yeasty aroma with noticable malt and hopps (furity). The tate is lightly sweet with a nice hopp balance. Mellow and a very nice brew especially for its reasonable price.

Reid (2605) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Poured a nice murky orange colour with a smallish pure white head which dissapates to a fine lace. The aroma of this beer is out of this world really pungent fruits and spices well mixed..i smell cherry, plum even some banana.. strawberry wow every time i smell this i get a different aroma great stuff. The tase of this beer is almost as good as the aroma.. again i get cherry..tingles on the back of the tongue leaving some hop bitterness thats well hidden..then as it goes down the throat I feel the alcoholic warmth..dang i can still taste this beer a full 1 minute after i have swallowed. Very easy on the mouth, the carbonation seems just right. Very drinkable but i couldnt manage more than 4 or 5 in a sitting.. WOW what can I say? a great beer

DrinkingbuddyE (1) - Warsaw, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2003 does not count
This beer has a nice warming effect that hides the alcohol tast. The color a nice yellow. Very yeasty. Poured with a large head.

beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - OCT 22, 2003
HUGE yeasty, rocky head filled up the glass before I could finish a slow pour. Murky yellow-gold color with visible yeast particles. The yeast just dominates this beer, so either my bottle was too young or something went wrong and somebody sent me some un-racked homebrew. Will re-rate with a better sample.

Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Interesting. Thought at first it might be a triple. Beautiful, golden depth in the glass. The desription mentions yeast, but I don't find it there in abundance. Just a hint is alright with me. Somewhat spicy; malts and hops balance. Tasty but too carbonated for me. These golden/spicy/fizzy Belgian ales just may not be my thing.