overall
RATINGS: 2281   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This style is a farmhouse ale, and is considered to be in the domain of the Belgian Saisons. Hennepin is a delicious brew for all seasons, it is spicy and refreshing. A moderately hoppy, farmhouse-style ale with a champagne-like effervescence, Hennepin has a crisp start followed by malt sweetness balanced with a firm bitterness. Hennepin has a bounty of great flavors: ginger, spice, orange and toasted grain. Pouring a bright golden color with a spicy-sweet balance of orange peel, sweet malt, hops and ginger, Hennepin makes way for a dry finish with a slight bite of ginger.

Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 10, 2001
Too much carbonation. Very tasty, but seemed a little unbalanced--a little too rough. Could have been smoother. I liked this, it just felt incomplete to me. Perhaps I'll try letting some age and revisit it in a few years.

muzzlehatch (4976) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 9, 2001
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2005 July 01: Quite a bit too yeasty, if you ask me, and any complexity in the flavor fades quickly; had this on tap a year ago and remember liking it a lot more, but I have to go with the bottle for this rating.

May 03: the yeastiness is more appealing now, the soft body more enticing, more flavor to these enhanced tastebuds, I even like the strong peppery-alcohol conclusion. Still working on saisons, but I like it. 6/4/7/4/14 3.5

Thanksgiving Day 2005, on tap at Three Needs. Hmm, surprised I haven’t resampled this or rerated this in two years...on tap I love the added sweetness, honey on top of sourdough breadiness and light citrus-peel spiciness...vastly better than my last bottle rating would indicate, I must do a formal rerate from the bottle again. Rating is average of this tap experience and the last bottle rating. 7/4/9/4/16 4.0

lovibond (115) - New York, USA - MAY 25, 2001
Beautiful Saaz hops aroma stays through to the end. Refreshing and crisp....

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 20, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2003 While I like all of Brewery Ommegang’s beers, I seem not to drink or buy them very often? As the beer sets in the glass, a transparent golden amber color, the head mountainous, frothy in structure, bright white in color and as it dissipates the lace formed a nice sealing sheet upon the glass. The nose is sweetly malt, citrus crisp, fresh and clean, quite sniff able with the start somewhat sweet, and lots of malt, top is moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish has a biting acidity, the hops spicy and appealing to the palate, very dry aftertaste and a good beer from a great brewery.

Bov (13442) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JAN 3, 2001
cloudy honey colour, fine head, coriander aroma, complex, very spicy flavor, warming and refreshing

kenk99 (168) - Leonia, New Jersey, USA - OCT 3, 2000
Not very good off the shelf. I have a bottle lying down until 6/2001 in the hope it will develop into something. Ommegang's burgundy ale is much better.

PhillyBeer2112 (2940) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2000
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2007 Seven years later I’m re-rating this beer! My original was a tad newbie-ish, but I gave it a 4, so its all good. Wheaty, fruity and spicy aroma. Actually, some banana, which I did not expect. A little grassy funk in the nose. A little candy up front, but the finish is semi-dry. No need to change my original numbers.

Jimmylib (169) - old bridge, New Jersey, USA - JUL 10, 2000