overall
RATINGS: 2523   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Three Philosophers is a unique blend of a Belgian-style dark ale and Liefmans Kriek, an authentic cherry ale from Belgium. Cherry chestnut in color, it’s opaque but not cloudy with full carbonation topped by a smooth, tan head. Flavors and aromas of roasted malt, molasses and brown sugar, dark fruits, brandied raisins and chocolate, Three Philosophers has notable sweetness with low hop bitterness. The mid-palate shows a soft malt center which gives way to a dry, warm, wine-like finish.

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2005
Had this one bottled. Oh. My. God. This was outstanding. Very dark milky pour with an extremely thick head that dissipated very slowly, nose of pretty much everything, including roses, taste is mildly sweet, and for something with a high alcohol content, it’s hardly noticable. This is a genius brew.

Amator (29) - USA - NOV 26, 2005
I wanted to like this beer, really I did. I loved the name and the label. Unfortunately, an acquantence present at the opening of the bottle remarked that he had had this beer before and that it tasted like bad sushi, and damned it that was not what it tasted like! Perhaps I had a bad bottle. From all of the positive reviews here, I’ll give it another chance someday.

zdeuce (3) - USA - NOV 25, 2005 does not count
What a great beer. Pours a deep opaque brown with tan head. Smells sweet and taste is smooth. Slight cherry aftertaste is delicious. Definately near the top of my list.

NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - NOV 24, 2005
Noel Blake, you are a genius. I love strong ales, and with lambic mixed with a strong ale like this, you can’t go wrong. It has all the characteristics of a great strong ale - the fruit, the yeast nose, the ruby brown color... but then there is that hint of cherry that makes you stop to ask "what was that?"

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 23, 2005
Another great beer from Ommegang. It’s very smooth but very complex. Tastes of dark fruit, malt, candy, and a bit of cherry. The lambic really balances out the rest of the brew. Probably one of the best out of Ommegang.

vinella (2) - Woodinville, Washington, USA - NOV 20, 2005 does not count
Beautiful ruddy brown in the glass. The soured lambic balances the sweet quad perfectly. I’d like a bit more of a mousse but it’s absolutely silky on the palate. I especially like the fact that women seem to respond so positively to it. Several of my female customers, pale ale people, have tried it and now drink it habitually. I like being able to sell it for $6.99, too.

brainskins (14) - evansville, Indiana, USA - NOV 19, 2005
Pours a beautiful brownish red with a nice tan head. Smells of apples, cherries, and oak. The mouth feel is nice and creamy with a sour bite. Tastes great. Very well balanced between sweet and sour with a good alcohol presence.

VAYankee (353) - Virginia, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Brown slightly red body with full light brown head. Powerful aroma: sweet and fruity (cherries), mild yeastiness. Strong dark fruit flavor with a bit a chocolate and mild taste of yeast and alcohol. Mildly bitter and mildly sour finish.

Megan (101) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 17, 2005
Okay, the unofficial rating is that it’s "yummy". Love omMEGANg so I figured we’d like this. Had in Bottle, Dave poured (ah, in an official OmMEGANg glass, no less). Thick nice head, dark dark amber borwn to the color. Drank near room temp and was still yummy. Rich, thick, slightly creamy mouthfeel and taste.

DwarvenAle (6) - USA - NOV 14, 2005 does not count
This is probably the best beer i have tasted to date. I cant wait to go get myself another bottle. It has a nice cloudy red pour with a fairly big, tan head. The aroma was on the sweet side and filled with ample scents. The chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit stand out. The taste is very similair leaving traces of every taste imaginable. The alcohol was barely noticed, and that is a fairly high alcohol content to hide that well. I think for many beer drinkers it could have been hidden to well but i loved it.