overall
RATINGS: 2589   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Three Philosophers is a unique blend of a Belgian-style dark ale and Liefmans Kriek, an authentic cherry ale from Belgium. Cherry chestnut in color, its opaque but not cloudy with full carbonation topped by a smooth, tan head. Flavors and aromas of roasted malt, molasses and brown sugar, dark fruits, brandied raisins and chocolate, Three Philosophers has notable sweetness with low hop bitterness. The mid-palate shows a soft malt center which gives way to a dry, warm, wine-like finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Lambic like with a little more alcohol. Highly recommended! Available at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Somerville, MA

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
puzzl (3258) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 Well, I certainly wouldnt call this a "dream beer," but is a very nice beer nonetheless. Aroma is very vinous, a lot of cherry, maybe a touch of spice. Rather nice, actually. Appearance is a muddy dark brown, with little head but a fabulous layer of foam that sticks around long after the beer is gone. Flavor has a very malty profile; can definitely taste the cherry, and a small small touch of hops, though a little cloying all around. Unfortunately, I cant describe the finish as nothing more than "tastes like ass." Its not truely offensive but it doesnt register as a nice taste at all to me. With a better finish this beer wouldve cleared a 4 easily. I dont have much experience at all with lambics or quads so I cant really say much about the blend, but this is still a nice beer that I think would do quite well in late autumn nights.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sregnar35 (1030) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - JUN 23, 2005
Nice, strong beer. Lots of flavors layered together in this one. Really fruity and lots of alcohol.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2006 This beer always threw me a little. I know it is a blend and I can understand, but the flavors (both good) seemed like they werent unified. It is almost like sipping a nice belgian ale with the requisite spun sugar/caramel sweetness and a bit of all spice. Then in the same mouthful it is as if you took a sip of a cherry lambic. I know (after I drank it) that it is in fact a blend, but something about it seems rather unblended. It is two fantastic beers no doubt, but I would almost prefer them each on their own.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 16, 2005
First of all....ratebeer needs a better server. Ok, and now the beer. Got to enjoy this over the internet with me close mate and co-worker, yayforbeer(look below). I figure I will just show our chat during the course of drinking this excellent stuff...........................12:46AM im still on my first glass, this thing is like drinking some awsome flavoured vodka. my g/fs laughing at me because im still on the first glasss................... i poured another already. let my wife taste it, she says it dont taste like beer...................... man this is like listerine. its killing 99% of the germs in my mouth.................... more like sherry................... ya.................... got cherry lambic in it................... def not lindemans tho................. 12:50AM.................. y stuff is ass in a glass.............. lol..............

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - JUN 16, 2005
750ml bottle, brewed 2004. Served in a St Bernardus trappist goblet. Aroma is musty, nasty and hard to get past like a dead mouse in it.. Nice looking copper beer with a fizzy orange head which dissipates quickly. You cant miss the alcohol, either in the aroma or in the taste, the booze jumps right out at you. The flavor is very good, like a high-proof Ommegang with the cherry lambic in the background and some spices. It mixes well. Gets better when the nasty aroma subsides. My wife says it tastes like sherry instead of beer. Tastes like dark rum soaked fruitcake to me, with a lot of rum. Either share a bottle of this with a friend or plan on getting blasted. Very Nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JUN 14, 2005
Very strong. It tasted too much like pure booze to me. I did like the use of the lambic but I will just drink that instead. Not bad but not good either.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BlueDevil0206 (122) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 12, 2005
750 mL bottle. Poured a deep reddish brown with a small, quickly dissipating head. Seemed very effervescent. Left pretty decent lacing. Aroma was full of brown sugar and raison and cherry (both fresh from the Kriek and dried) and spiciness. Flavor was malty sweet and fruity: cherry as described above, other dark dried fruits, and a bit of banana. Also very spicy: clove, allspice, and pepper. The kriek was very subtle and complemented the beer well. The malt profile also had a bit of roasted nutiness as hinted by the deep brown color but very slightly. No real noticable hop presence other than a mellow bitterness that Im sure is from some early addition hops that balance the beer out some. Finishes dry with lingering spice. Mouthfeel is quite full for a Belgian and well carbed. Lovely beer with a subtle lambic kick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Arayaga2 (2158) - portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 11, 2005
Thick opaque choclatey brown with a thick tan head. Smells sweetly of cherries and malt, with a hint of spice. Woof! Tastes like rumsoaked fruitcake.. heavy, spicy, complex, and bordering on cloyingly sweet $5/22oz

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 9, 2005
750 mL Brown pour with reddish hints when held against the light. Nice yeasty aroma. Flavor is fruity Belgian yeast, sweet, sweet malt, spices -- cloves dominate, alcohol is present but not as noteworthy or overpowering as in other 10% beers. The kriek in the background stays in the background and just gives the beer a very subtle cherry overtone. Very delicious, but not my dream beer.