overall
RATINGS: 1115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

Dogbrick (13520) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 17, 2006
Sample at Whole Foods Market. Hazy straw color with a thin, frothy white head. Minimal lacing. Light spice and zesty citrus aroma. The mouthfeel is light and dry with a good amount of citrus but not too much spice flavor. The finish is airy short with more citrus and a bit of coriander. Light and refreshing, and maybe a little boring but above average.

nick76 (4402) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 12, 2006
This Witbier is more like an American wheat than its Belgian cousin. The aroma is very malty with much wheat and yeast that give it a cheese like character. It lacks the spiciness that I expect in a Belgian White. The appearance is a hazy white gold with a decent head. The flavor is also malty and yeasty but with some citrus that I did not detect in the aroma at first. The palate is where it needs to be for the style. This is a great beer but it should be a little spicier and a lot fruitier.

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Bottle. Light, crispy; yeasty bread with tang lemon spread. Watery, my girlfriend likes it. We finish a bomber in no time. Glad this was here cos I just wanted to have a decent beer, I didn’t spend a lot of money on but would be reliably decent. At the same time, not outstanding really. in sum; this beer is like a cute girl who is a little shy, but you really would like to "get to know" - you’ll stick around it for a while, it won’t give you what you want, but you’ll enjoy it anyway.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Pours a clear golden yellow, thin head. Pretty weak, the flavor and spice weren’t big enough, slight banana, and coriander, but very slight other than that it seemed like an average wheat beer, not bad at all I just thought it’d be more complex.

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - FEB 3, 2006
(22 oz corked and capped bottle: $5.49 at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA) Pale golden yellow, very cloudy but not so cloudy that I can’t see the many streams of medium-size carbonation bubbles as they rush toward the surface to join the inch-tall collection of their brethren. Giving the head some time to settle, I think it’s going to be awhile. Not the most aromatic of wit beers, but it has a pleasant, gently tart, citrusy nose with just a modest aroma of yeast, a hint of breadiness and no real spiciness that I can discern. Without being acidic or tart, the lemony citrus dominates the flavor too, as coriander and orange peel are very light. Minimally sweet, mildly bready wheat provides a soft, light-medium-bodied base. Once the citrus fades off the palate, the light yeasty and bready flavor seems more apparent, and I’m less enthusiastic about the finish of this beer. Given the appearance, I expected very lively carbonation on the palate, but it’s quite gentle actually, and along with the clean citrus mouthfeel, this makes for a very refreshing and summery beer. And by the way, that head is still going strong, though lacing consists of only a few streaks and dots on the glass. Once emptied, the bottom of the bottle still retains a thick layer of sludge. Overall, not the most flavorful or complex wit, and certainly not my favorite, yet still, this is a pleasant, easy drinking witbier, one that emphasizes the wheat, yeast and lemony citrus while keeping the spices to a minimum. Would probably pair nicely with shellfish.

redlight (2318) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 3, 2006
The aroma has a lot of citrus, some spice, typical wit aromas. It pours a hazy yellow. I haven’t had it in some time and i remember it being quite dry but not this time, very refreshing. Great citrus flavor, with some spice bite.

core (19) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 2, 2006
12 oz bottle. Citrus smell and flavor, good mouthfeel but no coriander - not much flavor at all. Tastes quite cheap actually, definitely not worth what I paid for it ($2.35 for the bottle)

can8ianben (1572) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2006
I felt like this was a little too bland for my liking. It didn’t pack the same punch of many wheat beers I have had. It also felt like it had a very malty lager feel to it... something that I wouldn’t have expected from a brewer that usually has exceptional beer.

BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2006
pours a hazy straw yellow with a loverly head. For the fuss on the bottle, though, my tastebuds really had to strugle on this one. If you are looking for a light taster, non major market, brew thats refreshing, this is about as good as water. I guess I could say that subtle is the angle here, if so, good job. Citrus twist of orange and lemon. Very soft, though I didnt find much spice. best to bring the yeast with it when u pour.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JAN 18, 2006
"Okay Ommegang makes some good beers, this is the least in their lineup, BUT that doesn’t mean its a bad beer. Poured a hazy yellow. Yeasty and citrus aroma. Had a spice and citrus taste, very refreshing."