overall
RATINGS: 1117   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

shrubber85 (11706) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JUL 23, 2005
Bottle. Clove, lemon, peach aroma. Light tan yellow color with small quickly disappating head. Tart strong clove flavor (strongest I’ve ever tasted in a wheat beer - really comes out in the aftertaste). Light hints of lemon. I’m not a huge fan of the clove flavor but if you like clove flavor, this would be a good choice.

Ron (4257) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 22, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2005 1 bottle backyard by the campfire. Had a glass with and one without a lemon wedge. OK without, but I always enjoy my wheat beers with the lemon. It seems to kickup a bigger head and the bubbles coming from the Lemon make it a livelyer drink. I’ll have it again for sure.

notwoohoo (109) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Overall a decent wit. Pours very light (think Bud Light) with a small amount of head. Aroma is of yeast, spices, and some fruitness. I’d like a little bit more of a punch at the end of the swallow. Slightly tart, I’d stick with a Sweetwater Summer Hummer for a similar beer that is better.

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 17, 2005
At brewery. Definately my least favorite Ommegang. More on the dirty, barnyard side than I’m used to for wits. Not a great aftertaste.

Sregnar35 (1033) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - JUL 15, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2005 REVIEW #200! On tap at the brewery in Cooperstown, NY. Wasn’t expecting much from this, but it had alot of flavor. I’ll have to get myself a bottle of this stuff. Very high carbonation with a nice sour finish.

beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JUL 11, 2005
Bottle, pale ambery hazy pour. Big citrusy and spiced aroma. Lots of lemon and oranges and peppery spices in the flavors. Somewhat acidic tartness to it. Not bad, but my least favorite of the Ommegang beers.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 10, 2005
Pours a very pale color. Smells of citrus and a bit of spice. Very light in regards to Belgian white’s. Has hints of orange with a clove spice background. Very thin and watery which some people might like as it’s a bit more refreshing. However I like a little more punch in my beers.

jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUL 9, 2005
Cork popped out with force, seemed to be a lot of sediment in this one, interesting. Pours a nice pale orange with a huge frothy head that expands rapidly before quickly dissappearing. Aroma of wheat, not much else discernable. Very creamy, flavor is nice, not too sweet, lets the flavor of the wheat shine through. NIcely done!

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 8, 2005
They aren’t kidding when they call this a witte. This beer was so damn pale it almost was actually white. Wheaty, yeasty nose, a little spiciness. Flavor was very upfront spicy clovey yeasty, pleasant palate. A quenching beer.

mds (2256) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 3, 2005
bottle. hazy golden white body with a medium white fluffy head. aroma is very inviting and consists of oranges, yeast, and mild spices. Body is reasonably spiced with a light peppery finish. tingly carbonation. Very good.