overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4344   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

emerica56 (600) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - JAN 8, 2008
After dumping this into a trappist glass it foamed right up. The head had rather large bubbles and it was really sudsy. Although the aroma is very sour and salty. It is also ver aromatic and spicy. As it warms and i start to sip on it the flavor is a bit robust and has a sour funk initially. Although the finish is a bit watery it is a decent belgian ale.

darkseduction (773) - Zweibrücken, GERMANY - JAN 8, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2008 Bottle. A very strong taste of fusel alcohol, not a harmonic composition of hops. Sorry not my beer. Prefer Westmalle.

rw4244 (134) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 8, 2008
Poured a cloudy pale yellow, with a thick white head and copper tones. Sweey and spicy malt smell, lemon hints. Sweet hoppy malt in taste, sourness and strong spicy notes. Slightly oily palate. V tasty and well pronounced flavour.

riversideAK (6265) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2008
Hazy orange brown with a huge head. Aroma is yeast, spice, and funky with a sour/tart acidic kind of thing. Flavor is light spice, yeast with nice sour lemon acidic dryness. Flavor is not as strong as the aroma. For how much that was going on in this one, it was easy to drink. Very pleasant.

chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 7, 2008
bottle- pours hazy brown yellow with foamy large bubbly head. smells sour yeast like sour cherry candy. tastes not as strong as smell. a bit like earth and bread. very acidy finish. with some bitterness. it isnt my fav. belgium, it does smell gorgeous though peaches also in nose. some salt in finish as well. extremely complex,

WJL2 (9) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - JAN 6, 2008 does not count
Bottle - Had this several times on my stay in Lueven, Belgium. Very nice dry finish to accompany a rather rare (for Belgian trappist breweries) hoppy aroma and taste. Delightful color, clarity and head makes this beer a favorite of mine with mussels. Makes a difference when you get it fresh.

webjedi (250) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - JAN 5, 2008
I really can’t believe I’m decimating as many of my cellared Trappists in one night, but I figure it’s a mini-flight that was originally scheduled for New years but delayed a couple days. On the nose... this was close to perfect. I can’t describe properly the flower and apple on the nose... just a perfect balance... attractive like a beautiful woman... urging you to ask her something. I don’t get the hops, mainly because I served it colder than optimal. The yeasts are very pleasant and mild but the bitterness just balances the fizz on the head (which was about 1-1.5 inches when poured). It was perfectly dry given all the other characteristics. It left a nice lacing of alcohol on the lips.. almost buttery, but not on the tongue. I’m not sure where or how to say how good this was, but out of the Trappists I have had, outside of the Chimay White, this was one of the best Belgian ale’s I’ve ever had. I’d get a case of this if I could do so easily. Little hints of a pepper spice on the tongue, still trying to figure out what else, but possibly the burn of a cinnamon. Bottle from 2005. (Bottle Pour 1/5/2008)

xmarcnolanx (945) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JAN 5, 2008
Fruity, funky aroma of hay touch of menthol numbingness. Very interesting funky aroma. Head is an off-white and lasts throughout the beer. Flavor-wise, very menthol and numbing. Very strange. I think my extensive experience with dentists makes this appealing. Hoppy, slightly numbing, solid. Palate is slightly fizzy, clean and very smooth. Almost a perfect palate- so we’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. Overall, a strange beer that I want to revisit over different spots of time.

IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 3, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2008 Purchased at Bodega Brewpub in La Crosse, Wisconsin. floral aroma. Taste of light fruit and cinnomon. Had way too much carbonation. More like a champagne. Had some sour aftertaste. Was an alright beer but not up to the hype. Wouldn’t go out of my way to buy again but would not turn one down for sure.

Haslinger (1000) - The World of Beer, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2008
Bottle at Bodega’s in Lacrosse. Too much carbonation for my liking. Amber coloring. Maybe buy again