overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - DEC 3, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2011 Intriguing and exciting granny smith apple nose. Orange, waves of red. Vibrant white head falls quickly but never really goes away and leaves patchy lacing. Unique, quickly tart and sharply dry. There’s a consistent and mild cherry sweetness that persists and adds an extra layer.***one year old bottle. Quite an audible pfff and a strong tall lively head. Had to wait for it to die down and type this before I finished pouring the bottle. Rocky uneven head. I’m really liking the Brett here, strong and dry, bitter aroma like biting into a banana peel. OK this head is so creamy and dense, so picturesque with visible waves that this is becoming the best Orval I’ve had. More horse blanket aroma. Lemon peel and cotton, herbal throughout, dry floral hop finish. The Brett is quite a mouthful here and overtakes any other subtle magic. The finish becomes more juicy with each sip, but the dryness is by far the center of attention.*** 092310 2 year old bottle, strong effervescent, pop, creamy head pours well above the rim of the glass, perfection. Dry horseblanket and leather, banana peel? Little metallic, little creamy body, vibrant brett character. 021011 Bottle from September 2007. Little lime citrus, both juice and rind, horseblanket is restrained.

rocbyter (2159) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - NOV 29, 2007
Medium earth malt aroma. Lightly cloudy dark orange color with a lightly cloudy. Large white head. Light lacing. Smooth start with a tangy malts tangy middle and a slight alcohol finish. Creamy palate.

asedzie (832) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 24, 2007
Bottle. Pours hazy woody amber with a thick fluffy off-white head. Neat lacing patterns. Bubbles rising from the bottom of the tulip glass. Aroma is white wine viniousness upfront, with medicinal herbs, spiciness and solid, barnyard earthiness in the background. The beer is slightly sour, slightly dry, a nice rush of fragrant hop resins on the palate - some tart citrus fruit - and mild cookie dough maltiness throughout. Some soapy and floral hop flavors and musty basement flavors as it warms. Lightly floral bitterness lingers long on in the finish like flower pollen. Also the shadow of the flavors of the malt and yeast are present in the mouth long after a sip. I wish I could drink nothing but this magnificent beer my entire life.

NachlamSie (3572) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 24, 2007
Bottle best before March 15, 2012. This stuff is semi- cloudy and fluid with a tall, symmetrical white head on top. It really is a spectacle: the body is fairly translucent through the haze and I can see vigorous carbonation rising to the dense, opaque white head. I took a sniff quickly after the pour out of habit and was greeted with a gritty, almost skunky aroma to my dismay. But now, after a minute or so of zoning out while I stare at it in the snifter, I can’t smell anything offensive. It’s tart and wild with a bit of Balsamic vinegar but balanced with cloves, apples, bananas, and herbal scents. hm. The flavor is different than I was led to believe. The mouthfeel is spritzy and a little thin. Sweet fruits are up front and a dry, hoppy, tart finish balances things out. Assertive papery, lemony hops peek out from the fruity, flowery flavor. It seems to meld in the flavor too after a few sips. I get more green apples now in the taste. This is quite a strange beer, definitely a departure from the traditional Trappist styles. I’ve heard so many opinions regarding the variance in Orval. I’ll have to revisit some different batches and see what I think.

DialSquare (5131) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 22, 2007
bottled 27.06.06 -- hazy light gold color -- spicy, fruity, floral aroma -- green apple smell... took me a bit to figure that. taste of light crisp green apple, citrus. a really great sweet belgian ale... though that isn’t my most favored style.

TrefwoordPunk (1302) - Leiden, NETHERLANDS - NOV 22, 2007
Bottle 33 cl. Pours a cloudy golden with a medium white head. Aroma of citrus, yeast, cinnamon and some banana. With a sour aftertaste. Good, but not the best.

naplesbeerfan (17) - Naples, Florida, USA - NOV 19, 2007
Like the poseur that I am, I decided to try this beer because it was the most expensive single beer available. Golden, hazy apprearance with plenty of head (good thing) and a surprisingly smooth drinkability. I truly felt like the douche bag that I am while drinking this beer!

boobunny (8) - Getzville, New York, USA - NOV 17, 2007 does not count
Bottle. Really thick head, the best I’ve ever seen. Banana, orange citrus, bread aroma. I did not think it smelled like a barnyard. Taste was pretty good, actually, will definitely add to my favorites.

mansquito (6911) - Nueva York, New York, USA - NOV 14, 2007
Orange, brown body with some carbonation along with a slightly off-white head that leaves a nice, thick lacing. Kind of appleish aroma along with some spices... I really got a different aroma from this than most people got here apparently. Hella complex taste that changes completely from start to finish. It is a little bitter. Has a rather dry finish. Pretty light bodied but full-flavoured. Probably my favorite belgian ale.

timfoolery (1126) - California, USA - NOV 13, 2007
Never heard of a trappist ale before this one. Tastes like a drier, fruitier version of a lager. The color and aroma were unbelieveable, but the carbination and bite got to me after a while. Almost tasted like a dry chardonnay.