overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - SEP 6, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2008 Bottle poured into a chalice produced a large white billowy head on top of a hazy golden yellow body Wonderful aromas of sweet Belgian yeast and flowery hops Flavors of citrus and grass with a nice hop bitter finish Medium body with lots of carbonation Drinkability: It’s a Trappist a must try and yes I could drink a lot of these very easy

mugabe (258) - SWEDEN - SEP 5, 2007
Bottle. Pours an opaque honey with thick head. Aroma of yeast and resin. Bitter taste of apple/vanilla and flowers. Dry, cidery finish with some alcohol and some cream.

joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - SEP 4, 2007
pale hazy gold color with small khaki head. the beer in general is amazingly complex with an aroma of floral grass, spice, a light orange malt undertone. the beer glides down with a very smooth creamy body and very light carbonation. the flavor has a light honey sweetness that dries out in the end, backed up by a nice spicy bitterness, a light yeast flavor, and a good citric fruitiness. probably my favorite out of the trappist ales

Beershine (5224) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 3, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2009 This beer seriously can’t be more fun. I’ve had quite the relationship with Orval over the years. When I first tried it I thought the bottle was bad because it tasted too much like Pine Sol. When I tried it the second time the same thing happened. When I tried it again it started to dawn on me: that was the way it was supposed to taste. Then I realized I needed to reckon with the beer and engage it fully. I asked Orval to teach me its secrets, or else I would risk losing out on understanding it. I drank Orval again and again and again all the while without really liking it. One day, BOOM, it hit me like an epiphany. I have loved Orval ever since that moment. Orval is simply exceptional, and proves that brewing is an art. Its moderate alcohol content also makes it the kind of beer one could and should drink regularly. It’s dry, almost shockingly so because of its hop astringency. The yeast shines through every time. Visually stunning, the head is perfect and couldn’t be a lovelier looking brew. A finely honed, fascinating, and classic beer that stands up to what you would not expect it to in a lineup of heavier bigger brews. That tells all for now...this is one seriously cool beer and honestly no two bottles are exactly the same. It’s ALIVE!

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle. Pours hazy cider, off white head. Aroma is funky, musty, tangy, sour; dried fruit, cheese, meat. Flavor is tangy wheat, subtle meat and spices, faint dried fruit. Well balanced.

Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - SEP 3, 2007
This one took me a while. The first time I had it, I didn’t like it. I had read about it, new it was seriosly hyped and then was bitterly disappointed when I didn’t like it. Just too sour I thought. I decided to try it again a few weeks later just in case. The next time was better. I made a habit of trying it every few weeks and each time I’d notice something new about it and like it more. This trend continued until my trip to Brussels a few weeks ago. I had quite a few bottles over there and now I’m hooked. My words couldn’t possibly due justice to complex flavours and aromas in this beer. Every sniff and sip reveal something different and every bottle appears to be different. What is consistant though is the beautiful orangey liquid with its fantastic long lasting head, with a spicy, citric and sour infinitly complex taste. I think I may have to re-rtate every other beer I’ve rated to put this rating in a proper context. Praise the lord.

Defreni (3254) - Husum, DENMARK - SEP 1, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2013 Flaske. Kæmpe gusher på denne 1 1/2 årige Orval. Desværre var dette ikke en af de bedre Oravls. Fuldstændig mangel på den karakteristiske champagnetørhed i munden, og intet bid i smagen i forhold til normalt. Derfor en forholdsvis tynd oplevelse. Men den er der nok næste gang. Rerate: Og det var der så denne gang. Fantastisk frugtrig, ikke synderlig tør endnu, som jeg ellers har fået dem, men det skal der ikke holdes noget op imod.

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 12/25/2002
Mode: Bottle
Source: Murfreesboro
Score: i

Hazy orange, big frothy off-white head, spicy malt aroma, tart bitter malt flavor, good sample?
-------- /> Date: 08/24/2004
Score: ii

strong sour citrus aroma, woody malt flavor, lots of tart character along with a fair amount of bitterness in the finish, mixing in some slury nuteralizes the tartness making it a rich malty well-balanced ale, still no big whoop
-------- /> Date: 09/01/2005
Source: aa tasting

some good horse blanket aroma, still a good oaky tart flavor, growing on me after all these years
-------- /> Date: 04/01/2007
Mode: bottle
Source: Brewfest Classic City
Score: 2.5 to 3.5

lots of horse blanket aroma with a woody tartness, complex malt flavor, nice woody character, light tartness, good balancing bitterness without having any niticable hops,

Aroma: 7/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 15/20
Rating: 3.5/5.0
Drinkability: 8/10
Score: **4

malrubius (2927) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - AUG 31, 2007
12oz bottle in Westmalle glass. Caramel amber color with light beige lasting dense, puffy lasting head and lace. Aroma of spice, slight horseblanket, and citrus hops. Flavors of spice (anise?) and lots of complex stuff that I can’t make out, hops and a dry finish. Medium-light body and carbonation. Very complex and delicious. What the hell is in this stuff?

StefanSD (2451) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2009 11.2 oz bottle. Pours an unfiltered cloudy orange-amber with a massive off white head fades slowly. Aroma is spicy with hops, mulled cider, allspice, and yeast. Flavor is nothing like the aroma, very complex, there are sweet and sour notes in a slightly biter hops backdrop with a bit of citrus and some pine-nuts. Mouthfeel is dry, clean, and silky smooth. Finish is long, dry and bittersweet. Overall this is a fine beer that I will drink again, and again, and again.