overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4289   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 10, 2007
11.2 oz bottle. Pours a dark honey color with a huge white bubbly head. Very nice aroma... barnyard funkiness, yeast, citrusy hops. Tastes significantly less funky, not as sour as anticipated... similar to a Jolly Pumpkin brew. Yeast and alcohol mostly in the flavor, with a dry, alcohol-ridden finish. Though not one of my favorite styles, this is probably my favorite Belgian ale. A very good beer.

RSRIZZO (2009) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 9, 2007
Aroma is a nice sweet malty scent with back tones that come across with a sour note. It has that fruity scent to that seems to be common in these Belgian brews. Color is a burnt orange with a slight haze. Carbonation is good with a very nice thought and thick head. Taste is fizzy, sweet, fruity and sour. Starting with a medium body it goes down with a creamy and yet fizzy feel. Finish comes in with a sweet malt flavor that quickly turns fruity, this is then backed by a mild sour flavor, and then it ends with a smooth bitterness. This is one of the most complex and interesting of all the Belgian Abbey Ales I have tried.

vonsolms (38) - Måløv, DENMARK - SEP 8, 2007
The perfect beer experience - bottle, glass, look, flavour. Unexpected for a Trappist ale, not too high in alcohol. Perfect balance between strength, bitterness and citrus. Gets better if you leave it too.

RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 8, 2007
Pours cloudy amber with a huge head that falls somewhat quickly. Smell is like freshly cut blades of grass in Willy Wonka’s candy room...you know...where the chocolate waterfall churns the chocolate. Taste has a somewhat bitter edge to it with what seems like that grass tone again. Though I think it would be a smoked grass, if that makes sense. Feels typical on the mouth and is somewhat drinkable, though not that much due to flavor characteristics. Good brew, but not my favorite of the style.

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - SEP 6, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2008 Bottle poured into a chalice produced a large white billowy head on top of a hazy golden yellow body Wonderful aromas of sweet Belgian yeast and flowery hops Flavors of citrus and grass with a nice hop bitter finish Medium body with lots of carbonation Drinkability: It’s a Trappist a must try and yes I could drink a lot of these very easy

mugabe (258) - SWEDEN - SEP 5, 2007
Bottle. Pours an opaque honey with thick head. Aroma of yeast and resin. Bitter taste of apple/vanilla and flowers. Dry, cidery finish with some alcohol and some cream.

joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - SEP 4, 2007
pale hazy gold color with small khaki head. the beer in general is amazingly complex with an aroma of floral grass, spice, a light orange malt undertone. the beer glides down with a very smooth creamy body and very light carbonation. the flavor has a light honey sweetness that dries out in the end, backed up by a nice spicy bitterness, a light yeast flavor, and a good citric fruitiness. probably my favorite out of the trappist ales

Beershine (5224) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 3, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2009 This beer seriously can’t be more fun. I’ve had quite the relationship with Orval over the years. When I first tried it I thought the bottle was bad because it tasted too much like Pine Sol. When I tried it the second time the same thing happened. When I tried it again it started to dawn on me: that was the way it was supposed to taste. Then I realized I needed to reckon with the beer and engage it fully. I asked Orval to teach me its secrets, or else I would risk losing out on understanding it. I drank Orval again and again and again all the while without really liking it. One day, BOOM, it hit me like an epiphany. I have loved Orval ever since that moment. Orval is simply exceptional, and proves that brewing is an art. Its moderate alcohol content also makes it the kind of beer one could and should drink regularly. It’s dry, almost shockingly so because of its hop astringency. The yeast shines through every time. Visually stunning, the head is perfect and couldn’t be a lovelier looking brew. A finely honed, fascinating, and classic beer that stands up to what you would not expect it to in a lineup of heavier bigger brews. That tells all for now...this is one seriously cool beer and honestly no two bottles are exactly the same. It’s ALIVE!

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle. Pours hazy cider, off white head. Aroma is funky, musty, tangy, sour; dried fruit, cheese, meat. Flavor is tangy wheat, subtle meat and spices, faint dried fruit. Well balanced.

Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - SEP 3, 2007
This one took me a while. The first time I had it, I didn’t like it. I had read about it, new it was seriosly hyped and then was bitterly disappointed when I didn’t like it. Just too sour I thought. I decided to try it again a few weeks later just in case. The next time was better. I made a habit of trying it every few weeks and each time I’d notice something new about it and like it more. This trend continued until my trip to Brussels a few weeks ago. I had quite a few bottles over there and now I’m hooked. My words couldn’t possibly due justice to complex flavours and aromas in this beer. Every sniff and sip reveal something different and every bottle appears to be different. What is consistant though is the beautiful orangey liquid with its fantastic long lasting head, with a spicy, citric and sour infinitly complex taste. I think I may have to re-rtate every other beer I’ve rated to put this rating in a proper context. Praise the lord.