overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4289   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - SEP 3, 2007
This one took me a while. The first time I had it, I didn’t like it. I had read about it, new it was seriosly hyped and then was bitterly disappointed when I didn’t like it. Just too sour I thought. I decided to try it again a few weeks later just in case. The next time was better. I made a habit of trying it every few weeks and each time I’d notice something new about it and like it more. This trend continued until my trip to Brussels a few weeks ago. I had quite a few bottles over there and now I’m hooked. My words couldn’t possibly due justice to complex flavours and aromas in this beer. Every sniff and sip reveal something different and every bottle appears to be different. What is consistant though is the beautiful orangey liquid with its fantastic long lasting head, with a spicy, citric and sour infinitly complex taste. I think I may have to re-rtate every other beer I’ve rated to put this rating in a proper context. Praise the lord.

Defreni (3277) - Husum, DENMARK - SEP 1, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2013 Flaske. Kæmpe gusher på denne 1 1/2 årige Orval. Desværre var dette ikke en af de bedre Oravls. Fuldstændig mangel på den karakteristiske champagnetørhed i munden, og intet bid i smagen i forhold til normalt. Derfor en forholdsvis tynd oplevelse. Men den er der nok næste gang. Rerate: Og det var der så denne gang. Fantastisk frugtrig, ikke synderlig tør endnu, som jeg ellers har fået dem, men det skal der ikke holdes noget op imod.

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 12/25/2002
Mode: Bottle
Source: Murfreesboro
Score: i

Hazy orange, big frothy off-white head, spicy malt aroma, tart bitter malt flavor, good sample?
-------- /> Date: 08/24/2004
Score: ii

strong sour citrus aroma, woody malt flavor, lots of tart character along with a fair amount of bitterness in the finish, mixing in some slury nuteralizes the tartness making it a rich malty well-balanced ale, still no big whoop
-------- /> Date: 09/01/2005
Source: aa tasting

some good horse blanket aroma, still a good oaky tart flavor, growing on me after all these years
-------- /> Date: 04/01/2007
Mode: bottle
Source: Brewfest Classic City
Score: 2.5 to 3.5

lots of horse blanket aroma with a woody tartness, complex malt flavor, nice woody character, light tartness, good balancing bitterness without having any niticable hops,

Aroma: 7/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 15/20
Rating: 3.5/5.0
Drinkability: 8/10
Score: **4

malrubius (2958) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - AUG 31, 2007
12oz bottle in Westmalle glass. Caramel amber color with light beige lasting dense, puffy lasting head and lace. Aroma of spice, slight horseblanket, and citrus hops. Flavors of spice (anise?) and lots of complex stuff that I can’t make out, hops and a dry finish. Medium-light body and carbonation. Very complex and delicious. What the hell is in this stuff?

StefanSD (2451) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2009 11.2 oz bottle. Pours an unfiltered cloudy orange-amber with a massive off white head fades slowly. Aroma is spicy with hops, mulled cider, allspice, and yeast. Flavor is nothing like the aroma, very complex, there are sweet and sour notes in a slightly biter hops backdrop with a bit of citrus and some pine-nuts. Mouthfeel is dry, clean, and silky smooth. Finish is long, dry and bittersweet. Overall this is a fine beer that I will drink again, and again, and again.

Ingy (100) - candler, North Carolina, USA - AUG 30, 2007
Bottle. cloudy orange, with an odd, funky aroma. Big foamy head, bitter, dry, yeasty with lingering citrus, apricots. Good hops and length. Nice.

BREWMUSKCLES (2720) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 30, 2007
light and cloudy with yeast. taste of alcohol and prickly pear like pineapple fruit. head dissapeared quickly. alcohol with a bitter kick (cheap cognac). this is a typical Belgian ale. lingering tang that is eeehhh! i could have Augustin or Gulden Drak and save a lot of $$. and enjoy them better!

muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 29, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2008 Bottle. Pours hazy amber/blonde with a massive bubbly off-white head. Aroma is ripe fruit, yeast, some banana, and slight hops. Flavor is full of the ripe fruit, with notes of sour cherry, and earthiness. Some yeast comes out near the finish, as well as a nice touch of hops, and a wine-like finish. Very interesting beer, this one’s almost gone, and I’m still finding new things in the flavor. re-rate notes 8-29-07 - (deleted original rating) For #500- Bottled 3-07. Not as much fruitiness as I remembered at all, much more dry champagne qualities and lemon. Also, lots of tart notes in the nose. Elements referenced in previous review present, but the main difference is the mouthfeel. So, so dry. Very awesome. Re-visit 7-7-08- the head is insane, makes shapes that hang. Incredible. Everything else more/less the same as last time.

SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - AUG 29, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2009 Re-rerate: Four and a half month old bottle. Stunning. The last few bottles have proven this to be a truly perfect beer. There is so much variety depending on age, but that makes me love it even more as it can be multiple beers for multiple moods while still being outstanding in every iteration. The hops and fruity esters are phenomenal in younger examples, with brett and dry elegance taking over as time progresses. This truly is a perfect five, and it is a tragedy that it’s not appreciated enough to land in the top 50. Re-rate, 11/26/07. I’ve finally come around to re-rating this almost three months later, and Systemblaget still has bottles bottled on the same day, so I’m getting a sample with 9 months of age instead of 6. It may be that the beer has evolved considerably in those three months, or it may be that I have evolved as well since one of my first ratings, but this rating experience is very different from the original. The pour is a clear orange/amber with an absolutely massive lasting head. Bubbles stream from everywhere to sustain the mountainous foam for quite some time, until you wear it into a creamy layer that laces all the way to the bottom. Beautiful to say the least. The aroma is a little different than I remember: dryer and much more complex. Yeast, sour fruit, hops, bubble-gum ,and cloves hit you to start. Very spicy cloves. As the beer warms, more sugar comes out, with some caramel and a good helping of sweet cherries with a lingering acidity. The flavor is dryer than I recall; much dryer than the aroma would lead you to believe. Hop resin scrapes your tongue with a lasting bitter finish, and a slight citrus acidity rides over it all. The body is light and heavily but smoothly carbonated, with a long bitter and lean finish. the alcohol taste that was present before is completely absent now. I’m awe-struck at the complexity of this beer. I didn’t know that you could smell so many amazing things in one glass. It’s like a whole table of spiced christmas confections, and I’m loving it. It’s leanness and dryness also make it supremely drinkable, which is more than I can say for any other Trappist ale that I’ve had. ྪ,5,9,4,18=4.6) (original rating) From a bottle in Lund, Sweden on 8-28-07. Pours a murky golden orange amber with a substatial head that stays for quite awhile in a tulip glass. The aroma is probably one of the best-sweet apricots linger with tangy lemon and spicy cinnamon. I was expecting a better flavor out of this, but something was lacking. There was a good mouthfeel with heavy carbonation, but an intrusiveness of alcohol lingered over it and ruined the flavor. The bitterness in the finish was definitely refreshing, but for a beer bottled at only 6.2% ABV, there shouldn’t have been this prevalent of an alcohol taste. I’ll definitely give it another try.ƙ,4,6,3,16)

wingman333 (333) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2007
Great bottle...contains a cloudy amber-blonde, with ample head. First sip is tangy, then a supreme bitterness fills the mouth, with hints of citrus rind. Reminds me a little of Westmalle. A good one to try but extremely bitter!