overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4481   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

downender (8658) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JUL 25, 2007
Bottled November 2005. Marmalade coloured with a huge, billowing white head. Aroma of bitter oranges, herby hops with a whiff of brett. Flavour started of citrus hops before a slightly acidic finish. Highly distinctive and really enjoyable.

Seahandler (11) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Stone Sour Ale Fest (bottle). In the past when I’ve had this beer, it was always a little old. The Brett was allowed to create the horsey aromas and flavors. Prickly carbonation and when decanted, bright and clear. Still great and I never hesitate buying a bottle. Here’s the irony. The Sour Fest was the first time I had a fresh Orval that was the least funky that I had ever tried. Hoppy, lemon aroma with no wet blanket. Taste was bright and again hoppy. Hops were spicey. I know the Brewer likes this beer fresh and I finally know why.

joekfsu (138) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - JUL 25, 2007
11.2 oz bottle, dated 27/06/2006. Pours a hazy amber with a huge, foamy, off-white head that is mostly lasting. Heavy citrus aroma. Initial flavor is citrus, finishes sour and dry. Light body, dry and thin texture, with soft to medium carbonation. Tasty but I don’t know how many of these could be enjoyed in one sitting.

bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Bottle dated 5/14/03. Pours a hazy orange color with a small, bubbly white head. Aroma of candied orange slices I used to eat as a kid. Some notes of berries and sweet malts as well. The taste had a dry fruitiness with hints of........something I can’t put my damn finger on. All I know is it’s great.

TheJester (2542) - Cavan Monaghan, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 23, 2007
11.2 oz bottle at 6.9% abv. Translucent copper-orange in colour, with a ridiculous huge foamy, sticky head. Upon opening the bottle, you are immediately hit by a powerful spicy/yeasty/hoppy aroma. Taste is interesting and complex; cinnamon, coriander, pepper, peaches, tangerines, something acidic, and a green herb I can’t place at the moment. Flavour is actually not as strong as I had anticipated. Nice but unoriginal bitter finish. Quite heavily carbonated, but very full body. This one requires further examination.

cyrenaica (1126) - Milton, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 23, 2007
I tried this beer on July 23, 2007 at ’Smokeless Joe’s’ in Toronto. The beer was bottled on November 16, 2006 and was 6.9% ABV (as opposed to 6.2%). The beer poured a cloudy brownish gold with a head that lasted through the entire trappist glass. The carbonation was very evident in the glass. The aroma was spicy and fruity, not as yeasty as an Abbey Quadrupel. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with medium carbonation. The taste was not to my liking. The upfront taste was alright, but there was a lime-like bitterness on the back of the tongue. A very good beer, but not a great beer for me.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - JUL 23, 2007
Bottle at Stone brewery. Need to retry this one. I had 20 samples of sour beers, and my tastebuds were fried.

Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - JUL 22, 2007
I guess I expected too much. Way too much carbonation with a huge long lasting head. hazy copper in color. Spicy notes in taste and aroma. Slightly citrus hops finish.

rwgould (331) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 21, 2007
Bottle. Very cloudy, golden orange, hazy, highly carbonated appearance. Aroma smells of hops, but it is not very strong. Head is thick, reminiscent of soda poured over iced cream, but dissipates quickly. Palate is smooth, and the flavours complex and interesting. Some sips are quite strong, while others are more mild. Quite a dry drink, but very enjoyable.

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - JUL 18, 2007
Pours a pleasing orange colour with a nice beige head that has good retention. Aroma has big notes of malts, with notes of dry hops. Lots of flavour, strong dry hoppy bitterness and big notes of citrus, with a spicey finish. The beer has the perfect carbonation with an almost foamy mouthfeel. A really good beer all around, but not the best, I think it was overhyped to me. But still a pretty damn good beer.