overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4329   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

DownsouthGav (601) - Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 26, 2007
Yeast and bready nose. Pours a deep amber. Golden head. Some carbionation and a dry bitter taste with some spice and sweetness. An overrated beer.

Carlus12 (361) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 26, 2007
Bottle. Pours a nice cloudy orange. Head is big, healthy, off white. Aroma is malty and citrus. Taste is fruity with notes of pear coming through strongyly. Finish is rather dry, crisp and clean. A favourite.

yankeefan21 (135) - New York, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Bottled 10/2005: Pours a beautiful Belgian copper with a nice healthy head. It smells like a bouquet of flowers - fresh and clovey. The first sip is smooth and slick with a delicate spice. Complex flavor and highly drinkable. This is a very good beer and I will be having another.

douglas88 (9693) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 22, 2007
New Bottle. Pours a cloudy orange with an amazing head. Spicy taste with hints of fruit and a hoppy aftertaste. Really dry and great. I could drink a lot of this.

MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Rating Number 300.

Bottled 11/06. Pours a clear golden brown with thick creamy off white head and a crazy fizz column coming up the middle of the glass. Aroma hit me first with a sourness that instantly made my mouth start watering, upon further inspection I’m getting a woodiness type bitter fragrance and something unidentifiable that must be what is known as "horse blanket" (no idea what horseblanket smells like). Smooth, with super light and active carbonation. This stuff makes my mouth feel strange and has an astringent quality to it. Flavors man, there is stuff in here I can’t even put my finger on. There is a distinct ginger ale taste here though. I’m also getting a little perfumy sopressata type flavor. Also, some vanilla, wood, malt, citrus, and vinegar. Moderately to highly bitter throuhout and quite tart middle to end. Finish has good floral spicy hoppiness lingering as well as tart citrusy zing. There are things I’m missing, I’ll get them next time I guess. This is the strangest beer I’ve put to paper so far. Glad I waited until 300 to rate it, it’s just so different and complex my rating system is befuddled. Giving high marks for now, be back again for the next Orval.

Bradrcr (806) - Renton, Washington, USA - SEP 20, 2007
9/19/07 From the bottle. Aroma is sweet/sour malt forward with some odd Thai seasoning notes like ginger, followed by light roast grains and very light alcohol. Appearance is gold with a good off-white head. Flavor is sweet, watery, sour, with a light astringency and light earthiness. Mouthfeel is medium/low bodied with a slightly resiny, dry finish. Overall, not too exciting but has some pretty interesting and complex flavors.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2007
Bottle aged for nearly 15 months. I wasn’t immediately taken with Orval, but it’s become a real sleeper to me over time. It’s interesting, as it has some of the extremely dry characteristics of certain singels, with a bitter finish and an extremely lively body. But the aroma and the depth of the flavors distinguish it, with some sour apple, anise, and flower petal notes in there. Nice warming finish too, despite the relatively low ABV.

sm89walt (2082) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - SEP 18, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2007 A hazy orange beer with a dense, ample-sized head that slowly disperses. It has a sweet orange aroma with a soupcon of perfume intertwined. The flavour alludes to a malty taste but I find it predominantly bitter, with the hops lasting long on the palate giving a dry finish. This, my first trappist beer, was an interesting, if not altogether extraordinary, experience.

thenick (766) - North Bellmore, New York, USA - SEP 18, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 Bottle. Pours a lovely reddish-orange color with a lacy off-white head. Aroma is floral hops and slight malt and spice notes as well. Taste is the same, with a nice mix of flavors such as apple, dark fruit, vanilla, and lemon coming to the fore as you drink it. Alcohol not noticeable, though I was surprised to see the alcohol content is so low. Not the best of the Trappist ales, but a very nice beer in its own right.

stoutfellow2 (20) - Peterborough, ENGLAND - SEP 16, 2007
Bottle : I remember this from the eraly nineties as a truly special beer. This years interpretation is a (still hefty) shadow of the former greatness. Hoppy, bitter orange flavours but muddied by a persistant yeasty tang.