overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xetnauq (13) - USA - APR 22, 2007
Pours a more inviting and less formal-looking head than the other Trappists, and tastes different too. The citrus and spices at least balance the ridiculous amounts of carbonation that overwhelm a Chimay. Pretty good. Pretty expensive though, and in general I wouldnt call this - or any Trappist beer - the best beer Ive ever had.

yespr (43243) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - APR 21, 2007
33 cL bottle. Pours unfiltered orange with a huge off-white head. Aroma is most of all hoppy, what a difference from the other trappists, but it also has so many other components: YEAST, fruits. spices, slight sweetness but most of all: the aroma is dry. Flavour is citric, malt sweetness which is good for balance to the sour/bitter hop notes. Strong bitterness into the finish. First time I had this I was in awe, I had found the perfect beer and no one around me could understand the same thing. Ive come back and been in doubt several times, but this one deserves to be in the same league as the golden 12. There doesnt seem to be an "inbetween" with this one, either you like it and wholeheartedly appreciate it, or you move on - I stay still, this is my beer for an evening on the balcony as the sun sets...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bboeckl (142) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - APR 18, 2007
Bottle. Yet another great Trappist. As I am writing this review a week from the date of taste, I am only able to rely on memory. Struck me as being similar to Duvel. I do remember a complex flavor/spices. Good color, very drinkable. Hard not to like this beer. I enjoyed it although it wasnt an earth moving experience. Definately a prominent Belgian Trappist. I would drink again--Cheers! Maybe I will find this beer in the states and get a chance to rerate after a fresh tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
pforei (338) - USA - APR 17, 2007
Trappist glass. Amber color with a head that refuses to completely dissipate. Mellow aroma of pumpkin and orange with perfume hops . Taste is fruity and spicy up front and later hoppy and dry. Dry slightly bitter finish. The beer has as much complexity as any trappist. But the dry and unsweet taste distinguishes this beer from any other trappist. For some reason though, I just cant seem to get into it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GeoffT (12) - SCOTLAND - APR 17, 2007
Bottle. My favourite beer at the moment. Astounding fruit and hop aroma that you do not expect from beer. The taste is quite different, fruity, dry and slightly acidic. High carbonation and head that lasts long after the beer has gone. Very drinkable and a great apertif. A near perfect beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - APR 16, 2007
Pours a dark cloudy orange with a monster well retained light tan head. This is one of the better smelling beers out there, in my opinion. Lovely combo of spices, citrus, coriander, and light clove. Taste is a great mix of orange, various spices, a little cinnamon, and coriander as well. Extremely refreshing, a beer I could drink over and over again everyday. Finish is really smooth and the aftertaste is a little sweet on the lips. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
FLnative80 (174) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 13, 2007
Bottle. 11.2 FL. OZ. 6.9% abv. Pours a cloudy, golden color with an off-white head. Spicy, pumpkiny, aroma with hints of apple. Smoother palate than aroma suggests with a dry, sour flavor. A very smooth and refreshing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianbuntz (49) - Santa Monica, California, USA - APR 11, 2007
Pours a rich amber. Flavor is malty with some citrus, spice, and hops that lingers in the aftertaste. A good Belgian beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - APR 10, 2007
Pretty dark bottle pours a ridiculously huge white head and good lacing. This is in Jacksons Great Beer Guide but he spends more time talking about the abbey then he does the beer. I like the color. I like the bottle. But the skunky taste and the inflated price leave me happy only that I can cross this off my list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Burrobuns (83) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - APR 10, 2007
Very good beer on the whole. Big head with great retention and a refreshing carbonation. This beer is like abbey beer lite, in my opinion. Easy to drink with great light (upper palate) spice, floral, hop and citrus flavors. Doesnt have the same staying power as a lot of the more solid, darker belgian brews.