overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4486   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

marcbé (86) - Trois-Rivières, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 12, 2007
Hazy honey color, white foamy head and long lasting carbonation. Very complex aroma of apricot, yeast, cookie, wilds flowers and bubble gum. Very refreshing taste due to the intense carbonation, the grapefruit-like bitterness and the strong acidity. Salty notes. The hoppy taste merge it all together. Wonderfull. One of the best I’ve tasted.

Brix (660) - DENMARK - MAR 10, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2010 Tasted 2007-03-10. 6 months old bottle. Cloudy orange colour with a head that lasted all way to the end. Very fruity with notes of barnyard. A well rounded beer. --- Rerate: 2007-07-20. Had it fresh at a restaurant in Belgium. So much better fresh. More taste and body. Less sourness. More yest and hops! --- Rerate: 2010-12-14. This has become one of my favorite every-day-beers. As I really can’t think of a way this could be any better, I push the score to the max now.

LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2007
Served too cold, and I didn’t give the proper amount of time to warm. This could be served slightly cooler than room temp. This beer is a classic. Perfectly carbonated with high acidity and sourness. An unreal mix of multiple flaors and aromas blended well together.

Hamirubi (587) - Waarschoot, BELGIUM - MAR 8, 2007
A dark trappist beer I like to drink when it the drink is a bit too warm. It gives an even more mature taste to it and the flavor really is pleasant.

hombrepalo (1971) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2007 Had this a few years back, got me pretty buzzed quickly, and had to slow down, beer got warm and the taste got a bit funky, but other than that it is an above avrage beer,

Brouhaha (5) - Longueuil, CANADA - MAR 7, 2007 does not count
Drank 330ml 8 celcius. A bit of a bandage like and mossy aroma, notes of cereals. Nice dark orange color with abundant long lasting off-white foam head. Orange notes in flavour, champagne like maybe from wild yeast, some malt, not predominant. Fizzy palate with dry finish. Good, but not as mythic as some depict it.

churchill00 (154) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 6, 2007
While still very pleasing, this isn’t my favorite Trappist offering out there. I wouldn’t describe it as ’hoppy’, but there is a delicate citrus flavor that is very good indeed.

Hoser (387) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2007 I don’t think I can write enough words to describe this brew. Love this young and although I am not going to rate the Petit Orval it is equally as interesting. I could sit and smell this beer all day long. Was at the Abbey in September 2005 for a private tour. Page 348 of Michael Jackson’s Great Beer Guide and only 302 of his 500 Classic Brews to go.

Willin8 (55) - Massapequa, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 2 year old bottle. Beautiful deep orange pour. Aroma is floral, a bit of citrus, lemon, and orange. It’s evident that it is very full-bodied and complex upon first tasting. Flavor is a mix of floral and citrus. I taste some berries as it warms. Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy and dry. Finish is crisp. Truly a delightful beer. The complexity is on the same level of some other trappist brews like Chimay yet it finishes so much lighter. I could drink this all night long if not for the price.

FatherHinie (6) - Hudsonville, Michigan, USA - MAR 3, 2007 does not count
Frothy foamy off-white head in a trappest glass. Hazy orange brown appearance. Taste is bitter but a flavor I’m unsure of what. At first I liked it, maybe because it is "different{" but it wore quickly and I am not likely to reinvest at $4.99 a bottle. I think better values out there.