overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4329   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

bhensonb (15841) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 22, 2007
Aroma of sour and medium dark malts. Also yeast. Also hop. Ripe apricot color with foamy, lacing white head. Starts a bit tart and sour, moves to a sweet hit, followed by serious sour. Very dry. There is a nice finish which has some sour, and some bitter. Really different? Wish I could afford this everyday.

Embrouille (2854) - SWITZERLAND - MAY 21, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2009 Transcendental. I could spend hours describing this beer. Instead, I just admire its indefinite beauty. Incredibly complex. Beyond world class. By far the best beer I have had so far. A wonder. Heaven on earth. I reveled in every sip.

tjp68 (31) - Washington, Missouri, USA - MAY 18, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2010 Impressive beer. Beautiful golden/yellow pour. Balanced aroma. It seems a little sweeter when well chilled, but dry by any standard. Incredible beer, incredible achievement.

Cryotek (206) - Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 15, 2007
Maybe my allergies are kicking in, but i don’t get the high aroma ratings, i bairly smell anything. Nice hazy golden orange color. Ok tasting, but i prefer the Rocheforts. Not to spicy, a drop of lemon, and the normal ale flavors. Easy to drink, besides the initial quick spark to the tip of your tonge. A good solid beer, but i’m not overly impressed.

spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - MAY 14, 2007
Got a lot of yeast and some light fruit in the aroma.Pours a hazy copper with a large long lasting white head.Lots of yeast and a very musty flavor.Medium mouthfeel with a very carbonated yeasty finish.

benwa420 (49) - East Hampton, New York, USA - MAY 12, 2007
bottle. pours nice golden amber color. Very nice fresh fruit taste. well balanced smooth going down.

polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - MAY 11, 2007
11.2oz bottle, 4.79. Aroma is sweet and medicine like. Notes are of orange, raisin, cherry candy, and a little smoke at the end. Pours a huge white, rocky, frothy head that’s mostly diminishing. Body is a hazy medium amber. Flavor is moderately sweet and lightly acidic with an average finish. Palate is light to medium with a watery texture and fizzy carbonation. I could see people really liking this beer but it reminds me of a fizzy orange DayQuil.

KnutAlbert (6796) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAY 10, 2007
Hazy golden ale with a small head. Smells of ripe summer fruit. Full of flavour, sweet & sour, apricots, apples..
A classic.

skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 9, 2007
RATING 100. This one is one of my favorites. It was between this and Yulesmith Winter for rating 100. I’ve been drinking this since the days when I could walk to the moan and dove. This light trappist beer has a great sour funk that I found amazing as I was beginning to get into the trappist ales and cantillon lambics. The aroma is citrusy lemon and peppery. The mouthfeel is creamy and light at the same time. The flavs include citrus, barnyard funk, nuts, and slight pepper. The sour funk flavor is this medium bodied beer is what makes it so unique and amazing. The finish is buttery sweet with a touch of hops. The dry finish makes me want to buy a case of this excellent beer. Tonight I get to start working on 100 more with a Yulesmith Winter.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - MAY 8, 2007
Bottle. Shaken up in it’s travel from Belgium to Alaska to my fridge in Panama. Tons of foam. Every thing about this is intense aroma and balance. Fruits and spice weren’t as strong as I’d like, and have experienced in Belgian ales, but was there. Easy going, and I was sad that the bottle ended. I do think that there are better Belgian ales out there though...