overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4483   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

jb (3253) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Hazy dark orange with a decent whitish head. Bit of yeast in the aroma along with primarily an orange woody aroma. I didn’t notice a sharp or sour taste. Mine was on the mellow side. Creamy mouthfeel with a bit of hops at the end and a very neutral finish. Enjoyable.

nrdoughty (3) - London, ENGLAND - MAY 6, 2006 does not count
Massive long-lasting head, colour ranging from light and cloudy in the bottom to dark amber in the top of the glass. Smerlls of fruit - raspberry, cinnamon and honey - christmas spices. The initial taste was suprisingly sour. With a bit of air after 3 to 4 minutes of pouring the sourness dissipated leaving a sharpish taste with a hint of wheat in the aftertaste. The bottle itself was brown glass in a curved style reminiscent of the blue Tynant water bottles. The beer becomes fuller-tasting with more of a cherry hint after warming a few degrees. The foam is the best part of this beer. You could eat it with a spoon!

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Perfect amber color with small chunks of yeast floating around. Massive foamy head that looks like whipped egg whites. Smooth mild malts and bready yeastiness to begin followed by a dry peppery finish. Behind all of this there seems to be some caramel syrup and hints of fruitiness. I enjoyed the complexity and depth of flavor, which seemed to change as I got further into the glass.

Ibrew2or3 (8614) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAY 3, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2006 6.9% ABV. Hazy light amber color with white whipped cream head. Strong classic Orval aroma of mostly malts then spice and hops. The taste is really nice. I get a complex mix of malt flavors accented with some spice and hops. I can’t place which spice. High carbonation. The taste ended with a really pleasant light malty aftertaste. I remember this being a tasty beer last time I tried it 15 yrs ago. Yumm. It tastes excellent now.

Hawksfan17 (890) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 3, 2006
I drank a one month old bottle. At first when I poured it and sampled it, I thought it was garbage. What I find with most Belgians is you have to let them sit for awhile and get warmed up. After a few minutes the aroma and flavor changed alot. It had a dry, hoppy smell with light notes of tart fruit. This reddish golden pour had a big white frothy head. It was light and hoppy with alot of complex notes. Later I sensed apple and cinnammon. It was almost burning, that is how spicy the cinnammon tasted. Very smooth and dry.

Bartzilla (622) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 1, 2006
I finally decided to plunk down my hard earned cash and try this supremely overrated beer. Maybe I got a bad bottle but I definitely wasn’t impressed. I think this is more of a status thing for some people. I’ll take a Duvel or Chimay over this any day. It was extremely bitter and not in a good hoppy way. I’ve never drank model paint before, but I imagine it wouldn’t taste too different than this.

Zeswaft (1773) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 26, 2006
Bottled: 06/30/2005. Pours copper color with a big frothy white head. Real sour/cheesy lambic aroma. Quite effervescent. Flavor is pretty unapparent and watery, at least for a belgian. Quite sour and bitter. A little bit of woody taste. Unspectacular to say the least. Almost a little bad. I see it’s cellarable for 5 years. Maybe this isn’t good fresh...or 10 months old. I don’t know where the high rating comes from. This bottle says 6.9% abv.

Beerdedone (3408) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 24, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. I thought this beer had a good smell and it was very flavorful, a little thin, but very good, poured amber with a decent lasting head, very drinkable.

beerlady (556) - lucerne, SWITZERLAND - APR 24, 2006
orange-golden,elegant head,lively carbonated smells hoppy,malty,spicy,almoust orange-ppel-like (but in a fresh way) smells even like christmas-spices (clove or so) tasts bitter-fruity,spicy,but tough refreshing dry. a class of it’s own,i think! i really like it !! aftertaste of refreshing hops and even there are citrus-fruits!

Gmoney (442) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 22, 2006
bottle ..pours hazy orange with a small white head and decent lace . aroma of sweet citrus . notes of citrus flavor and hop bitterness , smooth and tasty with a very dry finish .. nice