overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

LordCrabapple (109) - Merseyside, ENGLAND - MAR 5, 2006
Souring scrumpy scents greet the nose. Rather concerned that it might be ’off’. But an interesting taste nevertheless, which grew on me as I reached the bottom of the glass. Worth trying. I will review it again.

rebelbrewer (125) - Lithonia, Georgia, USA - MAR 4, 2006
A very cool bowling pin shaped bottle. It poured a bright cloudy burnt orange into a snifter glass. It had about an inch of creamy white head that settled down into a quarter inch of a chunky head before I started drinking it. It smells like a lot other Belgium beers, you know spicy and fruity with a little malt. So, the giant citrus blast I got when I tasted this was a shock. No fruity flavors, nothing sweet, it is very dry and carbonated like champagne. This one goes on my to buy list.

Fin (10621) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 3, 2006
Bottle 330ml Sainsburys (I’m taking full advantage of their 25% off Belgian beers) Sipped from an Orval Chalice. Dense amber colour, with a frothy white head. Very aromatic with spices and hops dominating very pleasant beer slight citrus notes but quite dry in the finish. Certainly deserves much of the respect and ratings that it is given but there are better Belgian beers.

DuffMan (10452) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 2, 2006
Hazy deep orange. Powerful aromas! My wife swears it smells like pee. I smell grapefruit skin, pine, and a sharp bitter note. Very bitter palate, perhaps the most better I have ever tasted, nearly harsh. I half wonder if I got an off bottle because I am not picking up the range of scents and flavours that other raters have. I recognize that this is a highly respected beer, and I want to give it another chance.

Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2006
I looked into this one expecting an achingly sweet ale, and was pleasantly surprised to be... well surprised. A little drier, a little more bitter maybe? Definately not as sweet, and definately more hoppy than I was expecting. All around pretty good.

johndoughty (5472) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - FEB 28, 2006
I am not a great fan of Belgian beers but this is certainly an above average one. Not as bitter as some Belgian ales it has a very pleasant slightly dry mouthfeel with at traces of citrus, Not as threatening as some Belgian ales it is well rounded and very easy to drink. Definitely one I would try again.

fraans (31) - ostend, BELGIUM - FEB 27, 2006
Not bad, but there are better Trappist beers in Belgium. Amber in colour, hard to get from tap, if possible even ?! Worth a try!

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - FEB 27, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2006 Pours honey in color w/ full semi creamy froth receding to a rocky surface. Aroma is tart w/ barnyard features and cedar. Reminds me of Bordeaux. Medium nectar w/ very little residual effers. Flavors are bone dry and slightly bitter w/ a defined tart cedar cigar box character. Finishes long and dry w/ slight medicinal properties. Overall: Orval is a food ale. Harsh on its own. Goes good w/ real crab sushi roll. After a thorough search and seizure thus brew turns up in a watery grave. not impressed at all.

kcmole (28) - USA - FEB 25, 2006
Excellent beer, extremely aromatic with superb head retention and mouth feel. Finish was much dryer than you’d think of from a Belgian style beer, but very pleasant.

GRM (4075) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 24, 2006
Bottle, 330 ml, bottled on: 22.07.2004, expiry: 22.07.2009; eye: abundance of head, dark orange in colour, hazy, very slight effervescence; nose: floral, hops, spices, citrus; mouth: fruit, yeast, sour, long bitter finale