overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4344   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

ATOmemphis (200) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - JAN 20, 2006
Cloudy Orange color, creamy white head, very nice. Lingers as well. Citrucy flavor, really sharp. Interesting. lots of acidity. I kept thinking there was orange or lemon aspects throughout. Neat, though won’t buy again probably.

BobbyW3363 (154) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 20, 2006
Deep hazy orange color, nice white head. Yeasty, fruty aroma. Dry, winey flavor. Notes of coriander. Pretty good, but a bit overrated.

Skinnyviking (9767) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 20, 2006
Bottle. Off white creamy head. Orange unclear body. Aroma of green apples. As claimed by the brewer it is definately dominated by a dry hoppy flavor.

Immy (1958) - Virginia Beach, USA - JAN 19, 2006
Hazy, gold-orange pour, some floaties. Huge foamy white head that lasts forever, becoming rocky as it settles down. Nose is yeasty and spicy, slightly sweet with some hops and orange notes. Flavor is rather hoppy, with some smooth light malt notes. Nice body, and is certainly drier than other Belgians I have had. Medium bitter finish. I rather enjoyed this one.

norbrewer (15) - asker, NORWAY - JAN 19, 2006
balanced sweet aroma and powerfull tarty taste with a dry finishing My favorite trappist

2Row (11) - USA - JAN 17, 2006
This is the second time I’ve had this beer. The first time I ended up pouring it out. This second time I’ve found it much improved but still lacking. I think it’s just not my style but the flavors seem overly subdued. I enjoy the subtelty of the belgian yeast in this one but the overall flavor profile seems undefined. Those monks need to spend less time praying for salvation and more time praying for a better beer.

lonelybeergeek (36) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 17, 2006
I really don’t understand why this beer is rated so highly. It is a decent beer, but it’s no 98. However, I pretty much have to give this one at least a 15 overall because it is a belgian trappist ale. Too carbonated (is this because of age?), which detracts from the flavor for me. Next....

Kevster (344) - Bradenton, Florida, USA - JAN 16, 2006
Bottle: Pours a orangish color with a frothy off-white head that is fully lasting until the bottom of my trappist glass. Aroma is sweet, fruity and hoppy. Flavor starts sweet (tarty) and finishes with a bitter dry bite. A well balanced and tasty beer that I can’t wait to try again.

swiseman (536) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - JAN 16, 2006
sweet aroma, light and creamy head; rich amber in color. thick mouthfeel and some taste of alcohol without being overpowering. coffee/chocolate finish. good, but nowhere near my favorite Trappist.

bp (924) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 15, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2007 Orange color with a thin head. Hoppy and dry. I think I taste a little alcohol too which is odd for only a 6.2 ABV. Good overall brew but I prefer Chimay Blue (when I can’t get a Westy of course).