overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4485   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

Veer (362) - Landskrona, SWEDEN - SEP 28, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2006 Aroma: yeasty, spicy, apple peel, vanilla, hops, malt and elderberry. Orange yellow, cloudy with a white head. Bitter, vaguely sourish, slightly burnt, bitter sourish aftertaste. It feels a bit stale, thin, old and peculiar. Quite hoppy. When I really poured the sediments into it a wonderful bitterness appeared, similar to that in a gueuze.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - SEP 24, 2005
Really big, foamy white head on this one, but it disappeared quickly. Nice color, sort of translucent yellow/orange/amber you name it. The smell reminds me of weeds more than flowers, like in the woods in summer. It’s spicy, floral, citrusy, and woodsy. The taste is just the same, but mostly citrus and dry, hoppy spice. The palate is really excellent, nothing to complain about at all, and the finish is just as good. Maybe I’m not as fond of Belgian ale as I used to be, but this one is still very good, and it reminds me of why they were once my absolute favorite!

albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - SEP 22, 2005
SLightly cloudyamber with big foamy off-white head , lace and very bubbly. Candy, spicy hops, caramel, aroma. Flavor is a bit sour, citric, floral & it has a smooth buttery taste to it as well. Finish is dry with an alcoholic warming sensation.

ervan (37) - Redwood City, California, USA - SEP 21, 2005
Wow, cirtus yumminess. It’s like an orange explosion in my mouth. Not the best of the trappists, but pretty damn solid.

bmanning (142) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2005 Large frothy head with a dark amber colored body. Pretty weak aroma, but it does smell a bit like a flower. Has an amazing flavor of oranges and is very well balanced with a great sourness and spicyness that makes it very tangy. Feels wonderful in the mouth and goes down very smooth. One of a kind beer and highly recommended.

sammy3D (141) - Lawrenceville, Georgia, USA - SEP 19, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2005 Poured from a bottle to a mug produced a nice, thick foamy head. Piquant aromas not unlike honey mustard with a hint of dried fruit. Dryer than I expected with large orangey, hoppy finish. Almost medicinal. "Drink 2 Orval and call me in the morning." Not quite what I imagined but still a world class beer.

harrisoni (18578) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - SEP 15, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2015 Bottle. Had this a couple of years ago before I joined this site and didn’t think that much of it. So I was a bit prejudiced coming to rate it here. Cloudy orange colour with thin disappearing white head. Aroma is of sour oranges, and caramel and hop. Enticing. Faint rubber tones. Palate again is sour with orange/ tangerine but good and balanced. Finish is citric dry and quite aggresively hoppy with more orange. Anyway this changed my mind about this beer as you can tell from the score I gave it. Funny how your palate alters as you try more and different beers 4.3/5. Re-rate again at 4.5. This just gets better every time.4.6 OK, so this is just such a surprise every time I have it. A September 08 bottle in Feb 09. Best aroma and flavour. Re-rate 18 Jan 2013 Bottle from June 2012. Wow, just the flavour of orange and tangerine, the mouthfeel, the bitterness. I can’t think of a better beer right now. 4.9. Re rate Sept 2015 i have bought more of this than any other beer in the past 2 years and I never ever get bored of it. The bottle from Nov 2014 I had last night was perfect. Hoppy bitter interesting and completely satisfying experience so now a 5/5

spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - SEP 13, 2005
I’ve heard so much about Orval, so the anticipation was built up when I finally enjoyed this. Amazing appearance. Cloudy dark orange/amber body with a enormous fluffy off-white head. Nice lacing with some sediment at the bottom of the glass. Aroma is very unique. Perfumey/flowery with some awkward earth notes. Start of this was very tangy and bitter. Became much more appealing after the beer warmed a little. Sweet malty taste. Smooth/medium mouthfeel. NIce warm finish. There was some funkyness that threw me off, but otherwise very good Belgian.

BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Bottle: Rich aroma of bananas, pear, fruit and spice. The taste is similar initially, but with a a nice hop kick not present in many belgians. Not being a great fan of belgians (and a hop head to boot) this was a nice surprise. However, the finish was a little thin and watery. I’m hoping my next try will be better.

seamus77 (31) - kansas city, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2005
a beautiful bronze-orange appearance with that typical lush belgian head, hoppy with a citrus tinge, and heavenly with a great cheese.