overall
RATINGS: 2694   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Brewed with hefty amounts of European malts and four kinds of American hops, it delivers a blast of hop aromas, a rich middle of malt and hops, and a thrilling finish. It weighs in at 6.5 % alcohol by volume.

Why squeeze such a big brew into a little can?

Because we think fun in the great outdoors calls for great beer. Our cans go where bottled beers can’t, where flavorless canned beers don’t belong. And no matter where you drink Dale’s Pale Ale, our can protect it from light and oxidation far better than bottles do.

Northern Brewer for bittering, Cascade and Columbus for flavor, and a big, post-boil addition of Centennial for aroma.

Perceptron (32) - USA - JAN 20, 2004
WOW!

I have *never* popped the pop and heard the hiss and felt the palpable breeze escape and been inundated with such a glorious combination of hop aroma and malt! A CAN! Shout from the highest rooftops the future is now people! Synthetic corks and screw-tops may be shunned in the wine arena but they don't run the risk of cork... Same with cans. I love cans. I love how they nestle neatly in coolers and aren't shunned at public events. I hate what we can get in the States in cans and I hate the perception of "metallic" (which is not there) by beer snobs of which I am one but hey we all have to disagree sometime even when we are on some barge crossing a frosty fjord somewhere eh Slartibartfast? Yeah. Revel in the can brother! I call you brother because we share in the broth with our wooden straws protruding through the muck on the surface to the goodness lurking murkily below! Hooo!

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Canned - drank from can to get the canned experience. The "3" for appearance is a guess, but probably correct. Anyway, nowhere near as good as the SKA ESB can that I just tried. Oskar Blues isn't such a good brewery anyway, and this beer is ok but dances on the line of being foul. It's just on the right side of not being foul. It tastes of can, where the SKA did not. Still, I guess that it's better than most other canned beers. Second in a series of Colorado canned micros that I will be trying as I see them. Apparently there are more, I only found these two at this time.

Terminus (3721) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 21, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2004 can-tucson beer fest:
this was a good beer, unfortunately, it was in a can, so the flavor had some metallic presence. The malts were nice for a pale and the hops were quite tame-sweetness between hops and malts was very good. maybe i should try this on tap sometime!

SDquaffer (18) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 6, 2003
This beer was a pleasant surprise...a pale ale in a can...While it didn't have the hop aroma or rich mouthfeel of my favorite pales, it was a 'drink again' beer, especially poolside where bottles aren't allowed...

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUL 14, 2003
First off, I am giving these guys high marks for having the foresight to put this beer in cans so that I could enjoy it on the airplane and not be relegated to drinking swill. Thank you Oskar Blues, you are true visionaries!

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 29, 2003
Fort Collins Brew Fest 2003: Not bad, refreshing. I'd like to do a side-by-side test of this in a keg, can, and bottle. Not entirely too hoppy.

heykevin (1287) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Bright clean effervescent hop aroma (cascade for sure, amarillo too?). Caramelly malt flavor, a bit thin. Could use a bit more caramel sweetness.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - FEB 22, 2003
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a 1000 times; I don’t like “Beer” from a can! Kegs, bottles, a Horse trough, but not from a “can”, you get that “metal tasting thang”!

The beer pours a limpid amber color, the head is modest, and the consistency frothy the color off white and the residual lace a very fine covering sheet to seal off the glass. A pleasant floral aroma appears first, then the sweet malt, fresh and crisp, hints of lemons or limes, not quite sure may have to sample several dozen to be sure. Start is malt laden and sweet, the top middling in its feel to the palate; finish has a moderate carbonation and a commodious Hop presence, the aftertaste dry and maybe a bit alcohol bitter.

Well, I can say I must “Eat” or “Drink” my words as it were, this is one fine beer and from a can yet.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2003
This came in a can. Really- a micro came in a can. This beer proves that macro beer does not taste bad becuase of the aluminum, but rather becuase it tastes like shit. I can't get over actually tasting hops, flavor and goodness from a can.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2003 Chewy malt nose with a hint of sweetness. Clean, roasted and toasted malt flavors; nice and healthy malt backbone complements the rich bitterness of the hops. Thick and weighty on the tongue, yet very easy to drink. Some citrusy/grapefruit flavors. Quite the bold and beautiful APA. Rerate, can version: flavor or aroma does not seem to be lost in the can. Sweet and fruity maltiness still tasty.