overall
RATINGS: 2698   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Brewed with hefty amounts of European malts and four kinds of American hops, it delivers a blast of hop aromas, a rich middle of malt and hops, and a thrilling finish. It weighs in at 6.5 % alcohol by volume.

Why squeeze such a big brew into a little can?

Because we think fun in the great outdoors calls for great beer. Our cans go where bottled beers can’t, where flavorless canned beers don’t belong. And no matter where you drink Dale’s Pale Ale, our can protect it from light and oxidation far better than bottles do.

Northern Brewer for bittering, Cascade and Columbus for flavor, and a big, post-boil addition of Centennial for aroma.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - FEB 22, 2003
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a 1000 times; I don’t like “Beer” from a can! Kegs, bottles, a Horse trough, but not from a “can”, you get that “metal tasting thang”!

The beer pours a limpid amber color, the head is modest, and the consistency frothy the color off white and the residual lace a very fine covering sheet to seal off the glass. A pleasant floral aroma appears first, then the sweet malt, fresh and crisp, hints of lemons or limes, not quite sure may have to sample several dozen to be sure. Start is malt laden and sweet, the top middling in its feel to the palate; finish has a moderate carbonation and a commodious Hop presence, the aftertaste dry and maybe a bit alcohol bitter.

Well, I can say I must “Eat” or “Drink” my words as it were, this is one fine beer and from a can yet.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUL 14, 2003
First off, I am giving these guys high marks for having the foresight to put this beer in cans so that I could enjoy it on the airplane and not be relegated to drinking swill. Thank you Oskar Blues, you are true visionaries!

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 29, 2004
Bright, clear orange, OK head. Biscuit and earth aroma. Flavor is spicy hops, more earth, with a balancing malt backbone. A well made beer. No metallic note evident to me.

egajdzis (6830) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 3, 2004
Poured a light copper color with a sticky off white head and it left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet caramel malts, and surprisingly no hops however. Taste was very nice with bitter citrus, light roast and also some sweet malt. The best canned beer I have ever drank on an airplane! Frontier Airlines.

PeterA (342) - EL SALVADOR - OCT 12, 2004
Rich, hoppy aroma. Yellowish color with a light white head. Very big hoppy taste. The aftertaste is extremely bitter, maybe too bitter, but that’s personal taste. Overall, this a very good beer.

hershiser2 (3832) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Paid $1.45 for a 12-oz single can. Amberish in color, HUGE head... lotsa floaters. Sweet fruity hops in the nose... lotsa sweet grapefruit and other citrusy aromas. Taste is bitter malty, with hops around... finishes tangy bitter with a slightly funky aftertaste. Overall, very nice.

aracauna (3710) - Georgia, USA - NOV 22, 2004
This beer won the Pale Ale category at a tasting I held Sunday. Just to allay fears, not a single person mentioned anything about metallic flavors in this blind tasting. It’s a light copper body with a good head. There’s a bit of caramel and citrus rind hops in the aroma. A touch of grass. Very fresh tasting hops. A bit of lingering bitterness in the flavor. Very good.

dolemike1 (1289) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 3, 2005
"It’s the only beer we got that comes in a can". These were the words of the bartender as he plopped this offering down in front of me. After my initial shock I grabbed a glass, and poured it... and sure enough I was rewarded with a pleasant tasting pale ale, albeit with a tinge of a metallic flavor.

5000 (6900) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JAN 8, 2005
Can pours a very translucent orange, large white milk froth like head, very light carbonation, with very sticky lacing.   Malt and grain on the nose, albeit subtle.   Very soft hop presense as well.   Immediately up front is a grain like bitterness, slightly salty, with some hops in the background.   As it warms it turns into a heavy maltiness.   So-so body, full mouthfeel.   Finishes malty with a strong lingering hop bitterness.   I didn’t like the start of this beer, but as it warmed it became a bit better.

CaptainCougar (7634) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Pours a clear copper bronze with a rocky, dense off-white head with nice lacing. Very fresh hoppy aroma has a mild touch of sweet caramel malt underneath. Body starts with a sweet caramel maltiness turning more bitter toward a crisp and balanced hoppy finish. A nice APA, although, it could honestly be an IPA and from a can nonetheless.