overall
RATINGS: 1870   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Our ’Velvet M-80’ is a hefty, dry hopped double-red ipa with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavors. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size (8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs). It’s brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of our Lyons hometown. For all the details behind this tribute follow this link to www.N3978Y.com. G’Mornin’. G’Day. G’Knight.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2008
imperial ipa in a can! count me in! pours from the can a translucent brown with no head, with a nice hoppiness in the nose, and a touch of grapefruit. good flavor, bitter and citrusy, but the hops seem rather subdued.... a full-mouthed, chunky feel. a pretty solid effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sleepylopes (318) - New York, USA - MAR 2, 2008
nice head that separates from the liquid slowly and sticks around long enough. not quite clear a touch hazy and a deep amber. strong hop nose and almost syrupy but not sweet. very very nice

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerheart (237) - Erie, Colorado, USA - MAR 2, 2008
this beer poured with the aroma of an IPA but clearly a bit thicker. The rich vanilla head settled into a lasting lace. Thicker, maltier, and creamier than Dale’s Pale Ale. the taste is grapefruit, apricots, floral hops, and roasted malts. As so many others have noted, there is such great balance in this beer. Thick and malty, hoppy and bittter. At a time when we celebrate the extremes, the appeal of this beer is that 85 IBUs is so perfectly executed with balancing malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - FEB 26, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2008 Can. This rating is gonna suck because I drank this one right outta the can. Oh, and by the way, it was fantastic. Proper glassware and all that be damned. Aroma was good and hoppy trhough the can hole. Flavor was a monster of perfectly balanced sweet maltiness and woody and fruity hoppiness. I wish I knew the age of my can but I’ve seen a beat up dusty six pack of this stuff somewhere nearby recently and I’m damn sure to go buy it up. Consider me impressed at this point. I’ll re-rate if I feel like it upon a new can and some glassware. (and yup, I gave it an appearance score based on the can) <P> Re-rate: I have had another 3 cans and the rating stands. I’ll write more later. I love Gordon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - FEB 23, 2008
12 oz can thanks to a trade. I liked this one a lot. Darker then an Ipa but lighter then an amber. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (7276) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - FEB 23, 2008
Can 355ml
Appearance: Thick red diesel of old country, staring at you large jumpy crown. On sunny day light works great going trough substance appearing as red copper shine.
Nose : Aroma represents best of America West Coast Old School. Big , bold , solid hop infused with sweet yet not cloying maltose. Nothing new was discovered here. Strong hoppy aroma that was well done.7+
Flavor/Palate : After having few of Oskar Blues drinks I noticed it desired quality. Big , rich yet light and so cleanly executed. No rough berserks found here . All calculated, error free. This must be applauded and heard. From solid to solid. Amber malts are well made, alcohol smooth, big and satisfying. Matured straight from brewery there is no need for ageing at all. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StefanSD (2435) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - FEB 22, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2008 Courtesy of fordest. 12 oz can shared with fordest and padrefan. Poured a murky copper color with a small creamy white head that left plenty of lacing. The aroma was rich with citrus, caramel, grass and medium roasted malts. The flavor was complex and a bit unusual; sweet malts and biter hops are in full force in the forefront with citrus, caramel, and something that tasted like carrots or leather rounding out the sides. The mouthfeel was well balanced and smooth with lively carbonation. The finish was long and hoppy. Overall: The biggest surprise about this ale is that it was poured from a can. The next big surprise is finding that it it is not an IPA(or IIPA). At the tasting I thought it was. A great find, thanks fordest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrBunn (2789) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Can. I’m a sucker for this color in a body... kind of a brownish/reddish color with a finger or so of head that dies and leaves some scum floating around the surface. Aromas have some citrus and pine hops with a touch of sweetness from caramel malts. If you had given this to me with no warning I’d have told you that you handed me an IPA or IIPA (although it hides its alcohol fairly well so I probably would have guessed it is a heavy IPA.) Hops are dominant... with a grapefruit and pine presence that buries much of the complexity that may or may not be there underneath. Really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Frauditor (160) - Hagerstown, Maryland, USA - FEB 20, 2008
pours reddish brown with a huge fluffy foam head, which hangs around providing a crisp ladder of lacing. there’s something about drinking this awesome beer and then crushing the can afterwards that brings massive satisfaction. kinda like taking your old ’97 ford mustang, spray painting a number 3 on the side and wheeling it into the county fairgrounds for the annual smash em’ up derby. just that awesome.

Goodgrief (2017) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Apr. 2007 - Brownish amber pour with solid fluffy head and nice lacing. Aroma is that of strong grapefruit and caramel. The flavor is silky smooth caramel malts with a nice smattering of grapefruit and piney hops. Maltiness is sweet but not overdone, bitterness is mild. An easy drinking IIPA, if there is such a thing. I was digging this more than the DFH 90 min I had the other day, and that is one of my favs.