overall

RATINGS: 1273   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Our first lager produced with the 20 bbl brewhouse. This pilsner is a clear golden color. Four additions of Saaz hops lend a spicy-floral hop component.

JK (6203) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 10, 2010
Yellow with a good head. Hops are in the aroma with lager yeast. Good palate, and more hops in the flavor. A rare style done reasonably well.

ljay6880 (475) - , Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 8, 2010
12 oz can served in a tulip. Pour is slightly cloudy straw with two fingers of white head. Nose is light summer fruit, bubble gum, light hops, and light malt. Taste is very much the same. This is a fantastic pilsner, and I don’t rate it like that often as I am not a fan of the style. Tons of flavor and subtleties, yet so light and wispy that it could be greedily consumed on the hottest of nights. Another fantastic offering from Oskar Blues.

ttutony (923) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2010
Clear golden yellow with a frothy white head. Grainy malt aroma and flavor, maybe a slight metallic taste.

boomerbrew (147) - Texas, USA - MAY 1, 2010
12 oz can. Nice and hoppy aroma and flavor. Beer overall tastes great but a little hoppy for pils style and lacks some of the malt flavors found in a pils. Very light yellow/straw color with white head; almost like a blonde. Points are for an overall good tasting brew but I didn’t knock off for style. Palate experience was ok.

keepersj12 (3133) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - MAY 1, 2010
A great pils and god knows there aren’t a lot of them. Victory Prima comes to mind. Very nice aroma of fruit and sweet malt. Pour is light amber with a creamy lasting head. Flavor is crisp and clean. Some fruit, malt with a bit of a hop bitterness in the end. Finishes nice and dry One of the best Pilsners I’ve had.

garmonbozia (429) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - MAY 1, 2010
Can of course. Yellow straw color with dull grass taste. Clear golden color with white head. Not much there but was ok.

brokensail (16486) - Dublin, California, USA - APR 29, 2010
A: The pour is a light yellow straw color with a fluffy white head. S: The nose is slightly bready with a touch of eathy hops but the unmistakable scent of lager yeast. T: The flavor is note quite as good as I would have thought from an Oskar Blues beer. There is a lot that reminds me of "adjunct lager" here, with the exception of a bit of bready malt and just a hint of hop character toward the finish. M: The body is medium with a high level of carbonation. D: Far from my favorite Oskar Blues beer. This was a lot close to some of the other adjunct lagers I’ve had than to a Czech Pils. I suppose you can’t win them all.

SanfordBrewer (1582) - Sanford, Florida, USA - APR 28, 2010
slightly hazy yellow, thin white head, creamy medium body, medium-high co2.

aroma: pale malt, peppery noble hops.

taste:
T1= pale malt, co2, maybe a hint of diacetyl.
T2= creamy pale malt, a touch of herbal and pepper hops, a bit of grain.
T3= filmy hop herbalness (reminds me of brussels sprouts, maybe even with some butter on them, they just need a little salt).

i keep expecting skunk or cardboard aromas to pop out, just due to the association i’ve developed between them and the pale malt / noble hops. simple but tasty and clean. well-made pilsner, without all the thiness and unpleasant flavors that come with the adjuncts and abusive storage conditions that have ruined this style for me. this comes across to me as a food-friendlier version of an english bitter (due mostly to the extra co2, which is high for my tastes, but accurate for style).

jeremytoni (3079) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - APR 24, 2010
From a can poured a slightly hazy golden color with a fair amount of head. Grassy malty flavor with a lingering aftertaste.

smooch (238) - Sylvania, Ohio, USA - APR 20, 2010
There are some unique aspects to this one. I like the flavor, but I’m not sure it is much akin to the proper style and flavor. Even after sitting, there is no clarity but more of a haze like a Hefe. The flavor is good if unusual. I’d drink this regularly. There’s a bit of a soapy mouthfeel and taste. It is a bit awkward to me although it is overtaken by the somewhat sweet grassy taste that dominates. I’d drink some more, but not as sessiony as a normal pilsner in my book.