overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 2125   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Old Chub is a Scottish style ale brewed with copious amounts of crystal and chocolate malts, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malts. While Dale's Pale Ale ("the best-tasting canned beer I've ever had," according to many brewers and beer experts) is a showcase of both hops and pale malts, Old Chub is a celebration of malts. The cola-colored beer features a dense, tawny head, a creamy mouthful and flavors of caramel, chocolate and lightly roasted malt. Complex and rich, it finishes with a whisper of smokiness that calls to mind a fine single malt scotch. Old Chub weighs in at 8 % alcohol by volume.

Norton (333) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Can. Pours minimal tan head. Very dark, sparse light penetration gives reddish highlights in glass. Silky sweet obvious caramel flavor works well & does not overburden senses. Slides down the throat with ease. Faint roasted aftertaste. A minimally bitter brew that’s sweet as can be without being annoying and I would drink this again. I like to think of this as Red Stripe on steroids. Can reminds me of those fruit drinks in the breakroom machine at work that nobody ever buys.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JUN 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2004 The start of a night of sampling on Whaleman’s deck-dubbed the 548 Fest. Pours dark brown with a medium tan head. Big malty, chocolatey aroma. Light roastiness. Chocolatey in the flavor with a mildly sweet finish. Good beer and at 8%, packs a punch.

Terminus (3742) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 5, 2004
CAN!!! pours deep amber hue with nice tan head. nice carmel, earthy, buttery chocolate notes on the aroma. Somewhat like that of old peculier. velvet-y palate with nice earthy tones-some chocolate in the flavors. long peaty finish. very solid Scotish Ale!

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2004
Bronze body and thick velvety tan head. Huge caramel nose and a hint of smoke. Aroma reminds me of campfire-roasted marshmallows. Flavor is moderately sweet with some subtle smoke and just enough spicy bitterness to hold the beer together. Chocolate malts come out in the flavor. Also has a distinct rum quality. Smooth palate with nice fullness. Tasty stuff. I like the unpretentious beer in a can shtick.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAY 23, 2004
I really dig this brewery’s philosophy--going against the can stereotype (the flavor doesn’t suffer at all IMO) and I like how the brewmaster refers to himself as a "healer." as well. I’ve never tasted beechwood in a beer (to my knowledge) before..maybe I’ve tasted the same flavor in other Scottish ales? Mouthfeel is rather thin but it is an ode to malts and smoked peat flavor specifically. Gets a bit stale as it warms but the flavors are hidden when cold. I’d get it if the price was right. Thanks to Kinz for hooking me up!

Beaver (1885) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 19, 2004
The Old Chub pours dark brown with deep red highlights. It has a good sized, tan head that quickly goes down to a film.

Its aroma is roasted malts, with hints of chocolate and figs.

The taste is sweet, chocolate malts initially with some hints of fig. It has a bitter, slightly acidic, coffee-like finish. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, leaving a sticky residue.

Overall, a nice, well-balanced, scottish ale. Definitely the best beer I’ve ever had in a can.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 13, 2004
I must send the Thanks out to Aubrey in Colorado… Thanks again for the trade Bro!!

Pours with a awfully dark body, a deep hue of amber; Nahhh, crimson, and the head is a billowing kaki color… rocky and lush! The aroma is mouth watering! Notes of chocolate malt soar from the glass! Coco, coffee, winter dates and figs are abundant.
HOT DAMN! The flavor is robust and toasty as the Devil! Essence of deeply kilned chocolate malt… up front here as well! Toffee, rasins, and oak are found…. This is Unlike any Scottch Ale I’ve ever had… This is more of a Baltic Porter, or Imperial Stout IMO!! MAN, I’m not even going to discuss the “mouthfeel” of a beer named “Old Chub,” just so I don’t humiliate myself…. DAMN, I’m Very Impressed Here; this is the BEST beer I will ever have out of a can!!

FlacoAlto (4240) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2004 Pours a clear deep amber color, and is topped by a good light brown head. Sticky, malty, candied notes waft from my glass as I pour. When I go in for a deeper sniff, I get toasted malt notes and a hint of roast malt at the end. Wow, this has a good solid mouthfeel and a nice rich body. There are lots of malt flavors here (caramel, biscuit, quite chewy actually). Perhaps a hint of roasty smoke in the finish. This beer is also subtly fruity with notes of raisins in it. This is a damn good beer in a can, certainly the best I have had up to this point. The hop perception is appropriately quite low, with only a hint of balancing bitterness in the finish. This is damn tasty, for any beer, and it really hits the spot right now.

TheBeerGod (6292) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 13, 2004
Poured from a can! Almost black. Faint light peers through revealing a deep red shine. Medium tan head. Not bad! Nose is malted, but has a sweetened note or two along with a hint of roasted character. The taste itself is most definitely roasted and mixed with sweetened malt. Some coffee notes as well. Almost like a watered down or lighter Old Rasputin. Damn good beer, nonetheless!

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2004
Deep brown with a touch of ruby, OK but fading head. Can. Strong roasted aroma, quite appealing in nature. Flavor is malt focused, with more definite roasted notes melded with caramel and a bit of earthiness from the hops, seemlessly integrated. There is a touch of smoke here as well. Nice take on the style.