overall

RATINGS: 2508   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Ten FIDY Imperial Stout – This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 65 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Ten FIDY is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer.

Alextricity's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 26, 2013
Canned 1/03/13 "One ’til November?" Appearance: As you’d expect, the beer is pitch black with a pretty small head. The head is a dark brown, and the lacing is poor. Nothing out of the ordinary for an Imperial Stout, but it’s still very good looking. Smell: Probably my favorite part about this beer. I love the milk chocolate aromas I get, as well as the woodiness. I don’t get any sort of coffee note from Ten Fidy like a lot of people seem to get. However, I do get plenty of sweetness and dark fruit aromas. Taste: Super sweet with dark fruits up front, and the finish is almost equally as sweet with some smokey tasting malts in there. I was expecting SOME amount of bitterness in this beer, but I actually find it to almost be cloyingly sweet. Keep in mind I haven’t had many IS’s (maybe three or four), but this one seems to be the sweetest that I’ve had. Once the beer warms up a little bit, the sweetness dominates even more. The smell turns much more heavily to sweet, dark fruit, and the taste does the same... cherries come out a LOT once the beer warms up a lot. Feel: Along with the smell, the feel is among the best parts of this beer. As to be expected, super thick, coats the mouth wonderfully, and just smooth as all hell. The best thing about the feel though is that it never feels syrupy despite the thickness. Overall, Ten Fidy is a good beer ... when it’s colder. Given its ABV AND the fact that it’s a big Imperial Stout, it’d be hard to drink this one quickly. I find Ten Fidy to be much more enjoyable when it’s colder, as it gets much too sweet when it warms up, and the roasty tastes seem to go way in the background to the super sweetness. I’d definitely try this one again, but $4 for a can and about $15 for a six-pack is a bit too high for a guy that doesn’t particularly love RIS’s for the most part. Definitely try Ten Fidy and decide for yourself. While I certainly think this beer is better than a 15/20 overall, it was the most accurate way I could get my final score to be a solid 4.

sauvintipper (6) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 14, 2017 does not count
12oz canned 8/24/2017 10.5% ABV 65 IBU poured into pilsner glass pitch black with finger-width tan head which slowly fades as beer warms to room temperature. Chocolate malt, coconut, dark fruit with a little hops on the nose. A smooth and chewy mouthful right out the fridge! Not overly sweet or alcoholic. Flavors are well balanced with malts, chocolate, coconut, vanilla, raisins and even a little hops, but not bitter. My first Ten FIDY, best non-barrel-aged stout I have ever had and much better than expected, wow!

fidgetymidget (452) - Warsaw, POLAND - NOV 2, 2017
Jak na bezbecznego risa, naprawdę robi wrażenie. Bardzo czekoladowy i pralinowy w aromacie, do tego troszkę umami i paloności. Smak bardziej agresywny, kawowy, ale czekolady jest równie dużo. Sporo słodyczy w kontrze, sporo ciała. No naprawdę dobre

Bill Becker (1773) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 31, 2017
From Dec 2007 I got this can in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John! It pours from 12oz can a pitch black with a small and quickly shrinking head of tannish foam. The smell is roasted malt to the nth degree but I also can get some coffee and some chocolate. The taste is strong and complex with notes of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a touch of caramel malt that slightly takes off the edge of the roasty goodness. The body is very thick and chewy and it's carbonation is light. What a sipper!! The finish has a nice hot cocoa kind of bitterness to it that really ends the session on a high note. Wow. I know it's 10%abv and it does give me a slight warming during and after the swallow but that doesn't hurt the drinkability of this RIS much at all. Oskar Blues....you've done it yet again!! My hat's off to you. Thanks again, John, for including this in our trade!

mieszal92 (404) - Gliwice, POLAND - OCT 30, 2017
No clue why my previous rate has disappeared... Tried twice- a can and two months later- draught. It's an ununderstandable fame for me, this beer is no more than average. Watery, weak body, overcarbonated, tastes like Coke. Doesn't deserve it's place.

MrTipple (6424) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 29, 2017
Intense chocolate, cacao, dark roast coffee, dark, toasted malts. Hazy, very dark brown, small, creamy, beige head. Light bitter. More intense, dark chocolate, cacao, sweet coffee, dark, toasted, sweet malts, charred oak, soft carbonation, full bodied. Beautiful. Keg at GABF17, Denver.

Cybuch (565) - Muszyna, POLAND - OCT 24, 2017
W aromacie czekolada, nuty palone, przyjemny, intensywny. Barwa czarna, piana drobna, wyglada super. W smaku geste, wytrawne, mocno palone. Klasyczny imperial stout, bardzo fajny w swojej prostocie.

timmmmm (20) - New York City, New York, USA - OCT 20, 2017
Very solid, very on-form imperial stout. Tastes good, has an incredible head (in terms of size, density, and staying power). Everything you want in this sort of beer. Goes down smooth ...

VastActiv (7592) - Oulu/Helsinki, FINLAND - OCT 14, 2017
Can at home, Nivala. Color is almost black with small brownish head. Aromas and flavors: Licorice, chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. Strong flavors with very nice toasty malts. Some molasses in taste.

Blade86 (1420) - Wroc³aw, POLAND - OCT 11, 2017
Black opaque, big light brown foam, coffee and chocolate in aroma, full and thick, medium bitterness and sweetness, soft+ carbonation, long bitter dry finish

SolarSam (85) - Interlaken, New York, USA - OCT 8, 2017
Pours out like a quart of 90 weight. Just the way I like them. Gotta be an agressive pour into a pint snifter. Room for the head! I believe a plastic spoon would stand upright in this brew! Yum. A bit sweet- but then, so am I. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone