overall

RATINGS: 180   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
The second you open this bottle there is no mistaking that this is not your average IPA. Massive hop additions of the most obnoxious breeds put this taste bud burner in a league all it’s own. Our bet is that you will think it is O’so Freakishly good! Caution! This brew is 9% and may contain a hop cone in every bottle (2009 to present vintages) ! We want to make sure to repeat this reminder that we put a hop cone in the bottle. Always pour into a glass to release the essence from the bottle.

2008 Edition: 22-oz bottle
2009 Edition: 12-oz bottles w/hop cone in bottle
2010 - 2013 Editions: 12-oz bottles w/Hop Warning label

zgaier (1968) - Coral Springs, Florida, USA - APR 6, 2013
Pours a rusty orange with a beige head and sweet, hoppy citrus aroma. Taste is bittersweet, of hops, citrus, pine, and floral notes with a big bitter, dry, long finish. Nice DIPA

vt3stick (103) - Chicago, USA - APR 5, 2013
12 oz bottle. Pours amber with slight head and fizzy bubbles. Aroma is lots of orange and pine. Very dry on the front with a nice hoppy bite and citrusy finish. One of my favorite Imperial IPAs.

nielsedd (82) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Bottle from the brewery. Pours a hazy light orange wiht a good amount of beige head that reduces to a thin later. Nice lacing. Smells of very aromatic hops: orange peel, grapefruit, berry, pine, and floral notes. Tastes of orange peel, grapefruit, light resin, and caramel malt. Good balance, and a very good beer.

Garito793 (241) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2013
Bright opaque read with a medium-small white head. Aroma contains pine resin, grassy, floral hops. Taste is more of the same only generally less sweet. The carbonation is lively and the bitterness leaves a sting at the end of the tongue, doubtless due to the ACTUAL HOP CONE floating around in the beer.

Doghair (464) - Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2013
Cloudy reddish brown with a quick foam. The aroma is hoppy orange. I don’t think is come across this before. Taste is malty hoppy with the orange peel thing. This is a great beer. Very unique.

Narnad (1521) - Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA - MAR 1, 2013
Opened a bottle and greeted by a pungent fresh earthy/orange/grapefruit nose. When pouring, a big chunk of something came out. Having not read the warming label, I figured there was something growing in the brew, turns out it was a couple of hop cones. Flavor has a very nice balance to it. Strong hops flavors starts off giving a pungent bitter punch early but as the bitterness subsides, notes of orange and light mango come into the tasting. Malt is there but adds just a touch of sweetness as the hops does 90% of the flavors. Body is modest, low but finely carbonated and finishes with a tongue puckering bitterness. Overall a really good brew. The hops chosen for this brew work magnificently well together providing a slightly sweet, strong bitterness.

Treebs (872) - , Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2013
Enjoyed on tap at Palmer Place. Served in a snifter. A: Pours a dark amber color with some raspberry highlights. A yellowish foam forms on the pour and recedes to a thick ring. Some big splotches of lace are left down the glass. S: Sweet malt body with some light citrus. Piney with some boozy notes. T: Boozy alcohol notes up front with some pine and melon. A little citrus peel bitterness, but the alcohol is very in the forefront. Some pine and resinous notes as well. M: Medium bodied with a little heft to it. Medium low carbonation. O: Way too boozy, but it wasn’t that bad overall. Probably wouldn’t have again though. Serving type: on-tap

BeerSquare (117) - - FEB 12, 2013
A very serious IPA that is just a little much for me. I’ve had the version with the hop cone in and without, and I can say it’s better without. That’s coming from a total hophead. It’s just a little much. You can’t get anything except hop bitter. So, it’ll satisfy any craving for that. But to me it needs something more to be a great beer.

Frozer (241) - Illinois, USA - FEB 8, 2013
Served on tap at the local pub into a pint glass. Strong hop aroma. Nice head with lacing as its imbibed. The color is a medium amber. Flavor is excellent. In your face bitterness from the hops as expected. After taste is subtle but pleasant.

ccex (1391) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 5, 2013
I was intrigued by the warning label on the label when I first saw these 2 weeks ago: "WARNING: Bottle may include hop cone". 2 bottles in the 4-pack had 1 hop cone each; one floating on top and the other sunken at the bottom. Pours a hazy orange amber with average off-white head, so it looks like a great IIPA. Taste is as bitter as expected, with some brief caramel sweetness in the middle. Aroma has the usual suspects of citrus hops, tropical fruit, and sweet caramel malts, but is rouined by something very earthy that I can’t quite describe, but which reminds me of a dead mouse. The first bottle was horrible, and I thought perhaps the fact that I shook the hop cone out of the bottle and squeezed it before dropping it in my glass may have been the problem. The second bottle with no hop cone had the same flavor which ruins all the other goodness for me. and proved that the problem was not from the hop cone (although this might be a bad batch - bottles are undated). Other than that, It’s a good IIPA. Medium body, alcohol well hidden, slightly sticky mouthfeel blah blah blah. I really wanted to like this one, and would love it if it didn’t make me think of my grade school janitor flushing the dead mouse I found down the toilet. I’ve only tried one IIPA worse than this (and that was from Minhas). Take out that one dominating foul taste, and O’so has a winner. I’d try this again only if I could get it fresh from the source.