Otter Creek Quercus Vitis Humulus

overall

RATINGS: 149   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Quercus Vitis Humulus is our brewer’s tribute to the mighty oak, luscious grape, and humble hop. Our homage begins with a bold 27 degree plato barley wine ale, warm fermented with Bohemian lager yeast which we then blended with French grape juice and fermented in a second time with pure culture of Champagne yeast. When our brewers thought this intricate brew was complete, they aged it on lightly toasted French Oak. The six week journey through our brewery results in a deeply complex ale. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed brewing it.

johnnnniee (4285) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 4, 2016
Bottle shared by Mike I think, thanks for the opportunity! Deep amber with a reddish hue and a small bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Sweet bready maltiness with hints of caramel and toffee. Big grape fruity flavor with faint vanilla and earthy oak. Interesting brew for sure, glad I got to try it, but thinking it might be on its way downhill.

alexsdad06 (10289) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2014
22 oz bottle from backlog notes 2010. Pours a clear copper color with a small off white head. The aroma and flavor have sweet malts, caramel, yeast,grape jjuice, some wood, lightly floral, interesting beer, not something I would drink by myself, but good.

arone12 (929) - Maryland, USA - JUN 5, 2014
Pours a rich mahogany color. Rich sugary aroma with bourbon strong in the nose. Bit of brown sugar with some hops! Kinda weird taste I can’t pinpoint in the aftertaste. Good tasting beverage

nealblind (1849) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - DEC 6, 2013
This beer was great. It blew my mind. The vineous qualities were well matched with the yeasty qualities. One of the best beer/wine combos I’ve ever had.

jkwalking05 (4734) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUL 3, 2013
Rated in 2010 (Backlog) - Gold in color with a small off-white head. Aroma is of yeast and grain. Taste is of grapes, yeast, woody hops.

Headbanger (3992) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JAN 15, 2013
22oz bottle 4/21/10 (Whole Foods Market-Lamar)-Pours a hazy orangish amber with a tight off white head. Aroma of hops, caramel, and grape juice. Taste of the same with also some champagne tastes. This medium bodied was a bit different but was still tasty. Not bad.

Marheb (5726) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 5, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2013 Un côté sauce tomate, bonne présence en bouche, une certaine complexité mais ça lève pas comme j’aurais aimé.

italianjohn (3113) - Penndel, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 9, 2012
Deep golden orange pour, thin off white head .... aroma of grape juice, sweet caramel malts and light champagne yeast ... taste of sweet caramel malts, fruity yeast, grapes and dry light oak .... has a light bitter dry bite in the finish with a lingering dryness and a subtle hoppy bite ... not bad the abv is hidden very well

bluejacket74 (1991) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - SEP 14, 2012
22 ounce bottle. This one has been in the fridge for quite a while, so I’m sure it has some age on it. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention is good, and there’s a small amount of lacing. There’s also some sediment floaties noticeable. It smells like dark fruit (raisins, grapes), caramel, oak, candy sugar and some apple. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like grapes, raisins, oak, white wine, and caramel. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it’s a bit creamy and has moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, but I’m thinking I probably should have drank this one sooner.

Beerdedone (3401) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2012
Bottle. Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice fluffy off-white head. Aroma of grapes, caramel and alcohol. Flavor was sweet and fruity with grapes skins, caramel, a hint of wood and a touch of toffee.