overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1372   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2008
Golden color with a powerful oaky-sour aroma. The nose has apple, citrus, and assorted funky fruit. Flavor has a nice funky sourness to it that I find tasty, but not quite top notch. Mouthfeel benefits from the tanginess and I find it to be a pleasant meal companion.

SSSteve (4006) - - JAN 12, 2008
hazy pale gold with a small frothy white head. aroma of banana, pineapple, grains, citrus. moderately sour and very dry palate. flavors of lemon, pineapple, and some light spice(ginger?). very good and complex. well made.

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - JAN 12, 2008
375mL bottle @ Brickskeller, best before date of 14.03.2022. Pours a hazy, golden-brown color; whitish head with fine-bubbled lacing. Plenty of funk, horseblanket, overripe fruit, and sticky sugar in the aroma; a bit too overripe and sweet. Medium mouthfeel: a decent level of citrus tartness and plenty of overripe fruit; too much, again; sticky sugar and overripe fruit. Medium, tart citrus, horseblanket, and fruit in the finish; a bit of dough.

thebeertourist (5189) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 8, 2008
75 cl bottle. Hazy golden with a rocky head that started quite big. Wonderfully complex geuze aroma with citrus, talc and wood. Acidic flavours with quite abit of apples, citrus and wood. Complex geuze character, but different from the dominant apple bite I remember from older Oud Beersel geuze. Fizzy. A geuze reborn greater than it once was?

Miver (609) - Silver Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2008
Poured cloudy golden copper color with a large white sticky foamy head. Aroma is earthy and of mellow citrus. Tastes of tart apples and a little bit of grapefruit. Overall not that aweful sour.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - JAN 3, 2008
Bottle; only my second or third for the style. It has been a while; so lets see what I think of the style now. Poured a hazy, dirty gold color with medium sized white head. Aroma is funky with yeast, fruit, oak/earth and apple. Soft on the palate and dry. Flavor surprised me in that I didn’t find it overly funky or sour. Maybe my palate has developed with time. Flavor of fruits, apples, earth, yeast; both a little sweet and sour. Minimal hop presence. Drinkable and pretty tasty.

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 1, 2008
Pours a hazy golden/yellow color with a thick white foamy head. The aroma is quite funky with pears, tart apples, and some banana present. Flavors are pears, sweet apples, followed by some more tart apples and a funky finish.

wetherel (1883) - Cupertino, California, USA - DEC 31, 2007
Tasted at Logan’s house with Logan and deftim13. Bottle from Logan. It’s been a long time since I had a gueuze, and I was really looking forward to trying this one. Barnyard, hay, funky awesome aroma. Light yellow color with a hint of amber. Small fluffy head. Flavor was mild, sourness was also mild. Very tasty.

CanIHave4Beers (4184) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - DEC 31, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2010 First Geuze I ever had. I really liked it, lots of flavor... very refreshing. I’m going off memory here though so I’ll need to re-rate when I get another bottle. RE-RATE: Wow holy crap that’s a bad rating up there, so bad that I’m keeping it. Either way HeyKevin was kind enough to share a 2002 bottle of this stuff with us the other night although my score will stay right where it is I’d love to add a few tasting notes. Pours a hazy golden color with some head. The aroma is very funky with leather and some barnyard stuff. The flavor is likewise dusty & funky with old woody flavors, alas the sourness in this Geuze is very muted which makes this a very different kind of Geuze, pretty cool really.

yjb (113) - Davis, California, USA - DEC 30, 2007
who wants the funk? you got the funk... but not much else (EDIT- strike that ... nice tannins balance) someone through me in the dirty laundry and shoved me in the barn ... dry, soft not too bad... Update later that night... why serving size matters - the more i drink this the higher its rating goes, it just grows on me (tea???)