overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1150   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
DISCLAIMER: for those who had an exported bottle, please check whether you had this "Oude" version or the "Oud Beersel Kriek" which is made for export only.

PhillyBeer2112 (2939) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - MAY 21, 2003
Wow, and I mean wow. I've been pretty lucky lately picking up some truly oustanding Belgian ales. Nice looking beer, (I used a fluted pilsner for this, started out fairly cool around 45 deg, finished it before it hit 55 deg). Appearance is rather complex, showing different colors from different angles and lighting conditions. Mainly, it was a pure amber that glowed with a cherry red tone (yes I believe it did glow). The head was full and fizzy like champagne, and was tinted pink. Lively effervescence rising through the beer. Aroma was intense and appetizing, with sour cherry, musty possibly horseblanket or leather notes. Flavor was equally intense but the carbonation carried it down nicely. Tart cherry with a dry puckering finish, with an earthy funkiness providing contrast and balance. No bitterness, and it works - it finishes like champagne, dry and a little tart with little aftertaste. I never thought I'd be doing this with a fruit beer, but I loved this beer and can't think of a thing that should be changed about it, so....a 5 it is.

Luckylucy667 (41) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - SEP 18, 2015
Very cherry aroma, duh! Very carbonated with thin white head. Taste of dry rye bread with cherries all in. Extremely dry oak sherry like finish with some macadamia and vanilla popping in. Excellent.