overall
Brewed by Gueuzerie Tilquin
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Rebecq-Rognon, Belgium

RATINGS: 548   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
The Quetsche Tilquin à l’ancienne (6.4% alc / vol) is a spontaneous fermentation beer obtained from the fermentation of destoned fresh purple plums (Quetsche véritable d’Alsace, close to the Damson) in a blend of 1 and 2 years old lambics for a period of 4 months. Unfiltered and unpasteurized, it is re-fermented in the bottle for a minimum period of 3 months. The lambics used were fermented and matured in our own oak barrels at the blendery. They are made from worts brewed by Boon, Lindemans, Girardin and Cantillon. The taste is slightly tart but also fruity and round which makes this Quetsche à l’ancienne may be more accessible for non-experts or less sophisticated palates. It also has a slight dryness from the skin of the plums. The nose perceives a plum brandy perfume.

First batch (2012) with a BB date of 23/02/2022 was made with ’Prune de Namur’ and limited to 500 bottles.

Second batch (2013) limited to 5000 * 75cl and 10000 * 37,5cl was made with ’Quetsche véritable d’Alsace’.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rask0lnikov (1002) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - OCT 9, 2016
750 ml bottle. 2014-2015. Yellowish, orange colour. Thin white head. Vinegar, hints of apples, hints of white wine, grassy, hay-like notes in the aroma. Very nice fruity, refreshing beginning. Rather acidic than sour in the middle. Citrussy, dry finish. Lovely, fruity palate. Sharp, bubbly, thick texture. Rather light bodied, really enjoyable fruit lambic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4914) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 2, 2016
375 bottle (dated 2015/2016) from one of the Steve’s liquor stores in Madison, WI, served a little below cellar temp in a New Glarus flute. Small-to-moderate off-white head dies quickly above the lightly bubbly, cloudy pale amber body...nose of horse blanket, dogwood, light yeast, and, as it warms more, sweet-tart plums; it’s quite pleasant and initially sharp but after a few minutes it has weakened too much and doesn’t come off as all that expressive....flavor is faintly sweet and quite tart at the front, growing strongly sour and very dry at the finish, strongly acidic, and peppery-sharp on the end-palate...full-bodied, lively carbonation despite the minimal head and no pop to the cork...while this is pretty tart and stinging at the finish I suspect some of that actually comes from the bitterness in the plum skins, or perhaps from hops, as the brett character is relatively mild. It’s a nice enough beer but I was hoping for more I guess - not often I get to have a "new" lambic around here - and I’ll have to try to find an older bottle, or hang onto another of this vintage for a year or two and see how it progresses.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
VastActiv (6297) - Oulu/Helsinki, FINLAND - OCT 1, 2016
Sample from bottle at Stadin Panimobaari, Helsinki. Vintage 2014. Colour is cloudy orange with small white head. Aromas and flavors: Fruits, tropical fruits, some sweetness and sourness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tide (3370) - Helsinki, FINLAND - OCT 1, 2016
Bottle at Stadin Panimo. Hazy orange color, white head. Sour taste with citrus, wheat, tart, oak, earthy notes, acidic notes and grass. Sour finish with citrus, wheat, earthy notes, acidic notes, toast, tart and grass. Excellent lambic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hopverdju (958) - BELGIUM - AUG 31, 2016
Helder rood koperkleur met wit schuim. Geur: wat paintstripper, vineus, brett, lichte BBQ geur, grill chips, noterigheid. Smaak: zuur, hout, iets tropisch. Afdronk: licht zuur.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ShivanDragon (3693) - Leeuwarden, NETHERLANDS - AUG 29, 2016
37,5 cl fles, helder gouden met minimale (tot geen) lacing, aroma van fruit, hout, zuur, gist. smaken zijn matig zoet, medium zuur, hout, zacht, glad, dorstlessend, zachte afdronk, lang zurig en zoet, enkele pruim aspecten maar licht, en verder lekkere aangezoete geuze.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vipinvelp (4123) - Velp, NETHERLANDS - AUG 26, 2016
Opaque yellow, offf-white foam head. Light fruity aroma, similar in taste. Nice fresh, light sour, fruity. Great with this warm weather. (Eindhoven 201608)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bulldogops (2486) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 16, 2016
Rating #1899 - 2015.09.22 - Bottle is (2013). Pours a purply red a bubbly white cap. Aroma is plum, ripened pear, currant. Palate is more of this soft fruit sweetness, nice tartness - a well achieved fruit sour that begs attention to detail. Girlfriend approved.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (3748) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - AUG 11, 2016
This beer has had a very long journey to finally be consumed by me. Mcberko gifted this 375mL c&c bottle to me a little while ago as a thank you for letting him crash at my house. I told him it wasn’t a big deal and I didn’t need beer in return but he was very giving.Thank you, Matt. I had previously drank this beer but wouldn’t splurge on another bottle to rate. Even Andrew from Seattle wanted me to rate this beer. Another overly kind RBian. That’s how it got into my hands but the journey was much longer.

Taking a step back, this beer was a blend of 4 different breweries from Belgium that were all sent to Tilquin. After some months it was placed on a ship and made a voyage to, my guess, the east coast of Canada. Afterward, it made it or all the way to Vancouver, BC where Matt purchased it. To pay his way onto the underground RB railroad, he smuggled - under the cover of night I assume and facing potential treason charges - this bottle across the border and brought it to the Emerald City. You would think the journey ends there but that is just the beginning.

I had all intentions of drinking it in Seattle but just couldn’t get to it. Even at the last tasting, the day before I moved out, this was sitting in the fridge. Yet, it could not be consumed. So, this beer started on a cross country moving trip. Funny enough i was joined by the DIPA rating machine himself, mcberko. He joined me on the trip until we reached SLC, Utah. Now when you travel with a real life ticker, or dink rater as they are known in Canadia, there is little time for anything but new beer. In Denver I saw notalush but we meet up at a brewery. I gave him Logsdon and a brett beer from Red Rock. Through the Midwest I had too many new beers I wanted to drink, particularly in Kansas and Missouri where I had to catch up on my old rating-grounds. Even saw csbosox but he isn’t active and was drinking wine as I was sample Free State beers in the Olathe Whole Foods. Apparently, there is a new WF in the KC area, which I didn’t know and accidentally went to the wrong place. Gave him a Blvd Saison brett crowler, apparently I gift brett beer only. Made it to Cincinnati and even saw Pruf and his family for about 90 min. But wanted to share beer he hasn’t had yet. He on the other hand shared 1 good beer and 3 shitty ones. Next stop is Morgantown, WV. As any RBIian will tell you, when you get a chance to tick WV beer you don’t take it for granted. And now I’m a finally at my new home in Maryland drinking this beer.

It seems i live in a bit of a craft beer desert. The liquor stores close at 9 pm and don’t have too much craft anyway and definitely don’t have singles. I’ve amassed a decent amount of beers throughout the trip but most are earmarked for something. So, here I am, sitting naked in my new big tub, eating fruit salad that was given to us by our new neighbors, and finally drinking this beer. What a journey it has been and how many wonderful people I got to see on it. (And I didn’t even get to mention all the wonderful people that aren’t RBians like Rach of mcberko fame, Joe in Denver, Christina and Jean in KC, in-laws in StL, Lora in Cincy, minus Bill, and my wonderful and patient wife Abbey who gave birth to a beautiful 2-month old darling named Lorenna).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SeniorZozo (1462) - Budapest, HUNGARY - AUG 9, 2016
Tap @ Barboteur Beer Days #1 Brussels. Pours hazy apricot golden with a white head. Aroma of funk, barnyard, fruity, juicy, apricot, light plums. Taste is the same, super sour, juicy, lots of funk. Lovely!