overall
RATINGS: 51   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09/5   ABV: -
Holyoke Dam Ale is brewed in an English style, using open fermenters and a top fermenting American yeast. We use the finest Canadian English malts. Our Ale is mildly hopped and is intentionally brewed to leave some residual sugars. This combination gives it a refreshingly smooth and malty taste.

ericnixon (746) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 23, 2003
This Dam Ale has a nice golden color to it with a hoppy aroma. I felt it had a very mellow taste...none of the flavors overpowered the others. it wasn't dam great, but it was pretty good overall.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 18, 2003
Pours with a nice deep amber body topped with a thick head leaving nice lace behind. Slightly sweet and fruity malt aroma with a slightly citrusy hop background. Slightly sweet malty flavor with a good fruity hoppiness. Finished slightly bitter and hoppy. Medium to full bodied, relatively smooth and dry in the finish.

Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 11, 2003
To my mind, it smells and tastes distractingly like orange jello. It’s an orange-y amber (no, that wasn’t what put jello in my mind . . .) color. The aroma, in which Aaron smelled pine-hoppy just seemed artificially orangey to me. The flavor was the same way. Not one of my top beers.

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 11, 2003
Cloudy coppery body with medium off-white head. Aroma is distinctly pine hoppy. Taste is less piney than I expected given the aroma, though that’s certainly there. Some fruity maltiness as well. Finishes piney, but not especially bitter. Not a great beer by any means, but a nice one nonetheless.

goz (358) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 8, 2002
Thin head, very little carbonation to be seen in the coppery brew. Malty, caramel smell. Pretty light taste, malty w/almost no hop taste. I would say it is somewhat similar to Bass.

vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2003 Has a cloudy copper color and a fruity/hop smell. Taste was pretty smooth and easy to drink. Overall not a bad beer from a local brewery.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 4, 2002
Slight chill hazed copper. Thin off white edge head. Very light carbonation. Very nice biscuit aroma with roasted caramel notes. Nicely malted body, if thin. Body is weak but flavorful. Best before date - 2/27/02. Very solid hop bitterness. Earthy and dry with notes of roast caramel. Light metallic aftertaste. Smooth and very drinkable with a lingering malt flavor. Would be ideal on cask.

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 19, 2002
Its a solid, non-spectaular beer. I have yet to write home to my mom about it, and I have no intention of doing so, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

dprior (118) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 19, 2002
It’s got a good look to it, but other than than there’s no too much going on here. A good initial taste but nothing really sets in. I enjoy the PCB Ireland Parish more.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 8, 2001
If this beer had anything going for it I would write something better. Too bad, it is a decent brewery.