overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 1038   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
This beer is sold as Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen on the US market.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Not bad but not my favorite. Mine said on the label "Oktoberfest/Marzen" and directly beneath "Amber". I'm rating it here because the rest of the label is correct. Not a bad Marzen comparable to Samuel Adams in flavor to me. Capital is still my favorite followed closely by leinies Oktoberfest.

dortmunder (961) - Herdecke, GERMANY - OCT 3, 2003
Bottled. Clear copper. Head is very slightly off-white and diminishing. Malty nose. Tastes malty with a bit of hoppiness. Slightly bitter finish. Overall the taste reminded me more of a Helles than a Märzen. A little disappointment.

bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Pretty good, for what it is. Better than I expected, at any rate. "Amber" normally reads as "crap" in my dictionary.

aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Pours with a nice white head on a copper body. The aroma is fabulous, with sweet floral smells and a hint of spices reminiscent of nutmeg. The head leaves a light lace on the glass. The flavor is very rewarding. Sweetness balanced wonderfully by hop bitterness. This is my favorite O'fest by far.

egajdzis (6501) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Sampled at the Ludwig's Garten Oktoberfest party. Poured a brownish red color with a small head. Had a strong diactyl aroma and the taste was that of caramel, diactyl and a signature lager. This was pretty decent.

carboloader (674) - Houston, Texas, USA - SEP 25, 2003
UPDATED: APR 20, 2010 On draft. Pours a beautiful dark copper/amber with medium white head. Aroma is surprisingly fragrant with pear and apple tones. Smells delicious. Flavor is same with addition of nicely balanced malt and a very smooth finish. Creamy on the palate. I had no idea Oktoberfest beer could be so tasty. Perhaps I need to try others as well.

Shag (2981) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - SEP 23, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2003 Good malty and floral aroma. Amber colored with nice lacing. Complex flavor that is slightly bitter but mostly malty. Creamy mouthfeel. I am enjoying this alot more than I expected. Fantastic!

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 18, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 9, 2007 10/9/07-Re-rate. Malty aroma. Malty, doughy flavor. Typical o’fest. Fully eroding head. Label says produced on 07.06. From a discussion forum I read on BA, it appears this is in fact July 2006. So it’s over 1 year old. Sure enough, I bought it the 3rd week of Sept, so early in the season. Taste is fine, but there is literally no head. Drives me nuts distributors/brewers wont take back their old stock. It’s the brewers who end up looking bad. I guess I have to do a better job of checking the labels. 9/18/03- Good, sweet malty aroma. Amber in color with a thin white head and no lace. Malty. Does not have much bite. Very drinkable and could pound a couple masses of the stuff in a sitting. Pretty solid. No flaws, just not spectacular.

goz (358) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Pours pure clear amber, with a large tan head that mostly diminishes and leaves little lace. Aroma of caramel and toasted grains. Flavor starts sweet with caramel, some hints of toasted bread, and a bit of smoke squeezing in at the end. Medium body, super easy to drink - a truly great fest beer.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Pours a semi dark amber. The head about 1/2 inch and disappears in about 2 minutes. Not much lace that is sustained on the sides. Smells malty and a bit hoppy. Tastes malty with a dry finish. Not bad, but I've had better.