overall
RATINGS: 468   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 405   ABV: 13.5%
2008 (The Perfect Storm): Stormwatchers Winterfest 2007 aged in Evan Willliams bourbon barrels.
2009 (The Perfect Storm): Stormwatchers Winterfest 2007 aged in Evan Willliams bourbon barrels.
2010 (Mother of All Storms) - Stormwatchers Winterfest 2009 aged in Evans Williams bourbon barrels.
2011 (Mother of All Storms) - Stormwatchers Winterfest 2010 aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

There are many storms out there, all of them perfect in their own way. But there is only one Mother of all Storms and it only happens in Pacific City, Oregon. Based on Stormwatcher’s Winterfest, our English-style barleywine, Mother of all Storms spent many months aging in Kentucky bourbon barrels. Now at its peak, Mother of all Storms delivers deep flavors of toasted malt, bourbon and oak. The finish rewards with whispers of vanilla, toffee and caramel. Best enjoyed with gusts exceeding 60 mph.

Caskalefan (168) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2012
At last, a barleywine I prefer even over Olde Curmudgeon! 2012 Bottling Incredibly complex nose and flavor of caramel, toffee, bourbon (lots of it), sherry, cognac, vanilla, oak, raisins, honey, kumquats, orange zest, persimmons, plums, peaches, strawberries, prunes, dates, figs, cherries, pecan pralines, rhubarb, toasted coconut, leather, tobacco, and a hint of smokiness. The body is syrupy, but playfully so, not sticky or cloying. This beauty has legs like Angelina, and the mouth becomes delightfully coated as the sipping continues. The finish is one of the longest I’ve ever experienced, and the woodiness and the alcohol prevent this one from becoming too sweet (as a gentleman before me pointed out). It’s been quite a few years since I was an ardent fan of the barleywine style, but this one absolutely blew me away, even fresh. I can only imagine what a few years of aging might achieve.

tdf201 (3) - Lebanon, Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2013 does not count
Best beer I have had yet. Was given to me and shared as a birthday gift for my 36th birthday.