RATINGS: 306   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Our flagship brand! An amber Vienna-style lager beer that is smooth, mellow and full bodied, with delicate hop aroma. Uses two-row barley malt and caramel-roasted malt. Based on founder Tom Pastorius’ favorite German bier.

MarkSachon (1063) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 26, 2011
Do yourself a favor and stay on the North Side of the rivers in Pittsburgh to taste this accomplished Pilsner. So much better than the so-called Pilsner equivalents served at the Hofbrauhaus on the South Side.

happygils99 (7) - USA - AUG 2, 2001 does not count
great german style beer. could be a little stronger tasting. ..............

ordybill (1815) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - MAR 12, 2015
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a strong malt aroma, not bad. Appearance- A dark golden to copper color with a very small white head. Taste- Has a decent grain and malt flavor with no bad aftertaste. Palate- A light to medium bodied beer with mild carbonation. Has a nice semi-dry finish. Overall- A nice Vienna Lager, I came across this by accident and if I see it being served I would order it again.

PennPils99 (6) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 17, 2000 does not count
Truly a Vienna Lager! Enjoyed it at Three Rivers Stadium! .................

warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2004
I had this draft and what a great example of a bohemian style pils. Nice caramel mal t aroma with some good saaz hop aroma. Excellent head that lasted and it had a clear nice amber color. A great mild caramel malt flavor followed by a very nice saaz hop flavor and bitterness. A classic rendition of the style! I also had this beer in the bottle version and it was not anywhere near as good as the draft version. I would rate the bottle a 3.0 overall.

cking (1175) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2008
The flagship beer from Penn Brewery, and it’s a remarkable Pilsner. This one is done right and would find a regular home in my fridge if it were more available. Powerful hop nose providing a spicy/peppery aroma from an abundance of noble hops. Hints of bread and caramel also come into play. A sparking rich copper color with a fluffy, lasting head and very thick lacing. Good bitterness atop a fresh filling malty body. Clean, crisp and delightful on the palate. Flavors of sweet baked bread, nuts, hay. Plenty of floral and spicy hop notes with a slight hint of citrus. There is plenty of depth found in this great beer, top notch and surprisingly delicious.

jstu9 (403) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 3, 2001
I had this at the Steelers game today. I've had it many times, most recently rating it 5/7/01 at 3.3. This is quite a good solid beer. I didn't remember it being as hoppy as it was today. Maybe it was fresh since Heinz Field is a hop skip and a jump from the Penn Brewery. I was reminded of Great Lakes' Dortmunder Gold when I had this, thus I'm increasing my rating. I think I have a new 'common' (at least in Pittsburgh) favorite beer. Of course it didn't hurt that the Steelers won. I think this beer is *much* better from the tap as compared to the bottle.