Pennichuck Feuerwehrmann Schwarzbier (Firefighter Black Lager)

overall
RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Schwarzbier (shvahrts-beer) is German for "black-beer". Brewed to be a light bodied dark beer with a clean, crisp, refreshing finish. Its well balanced malt character is complimented with a touch of roastiness. Brewed using imported black patent malt and noble hops. Pairs with chunky dark breads, marinated meats such as brisket or German Sauerbraten. Not recommended for cellaring. Serve in a flute or pilsner glass at 45-50deg

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 17, 2008
May the schwarz be with you, and no, I am not referring to the quintessential Mel Brooks classic. Instead, I am referring to an oft unrepresented beer style and that is the schwarzbier, aka, a black lager.
My Feuerwehrmann Schwarzbier pours a dark brown black into my glass. As light peeks in along her crevices, a decent head peaks then fades into a minute ring around the glass. Her nose is full with nuts and maple syrup. True to the schwarzbier style, her body is light and subtle, making it a simple pleasure to take in all of her. A palate of peaches, apple, and some lemony grass esters lingering in the background as roasty malty cocoa notes stand up-front. A tinge of citrus, grapefruit maybe, in the finish with a bit of bittering nuts. My schwarzbier from Pennichuck Brewing remains easy to drink from start to finish. a bit more into my quaffing session, the nuts and maple I detected in the nose start to shine, bridging the gap between the two dueling sides of my schwarzbier, the malts and the fruits.
Overall, an interesting interpretation of a traditional Schwarzbier. Feuerwehrmann is a good solid schwarzbier. Close to great but not quite. I would have trouble reaching for a glass whenever she is around to offer herself up to me.

Stine (1781) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 31, 2008
Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Very thin caramel color brown pour to a hollow black body. Cinnamon sugar, honey, root beer candies, and licorice aroma. Sugary, and sticky. Similar, syrupy root beer candy flavor; some peppery earthy bitterness, maple syrup. Chewy medium roasted coffee, some chocolate, black licorice; flavor profile is basic, but built well. Medium palate; soft and oily. Finishes with lengthy cola-like residual sugars. Pleasant stuff. Thanks Aaron!

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - MAY 1, 2008
Bomber from mcox90 in trade. Dunkels and Schwarzbiers are fast becoming my favorite styles. I jumped at the chance to gather this beauty up. Pours a lovely slate black with some brown tones coming thru when held up to a strong light. Another lunch without food complete with bottlecap. MMMM. Oily light tan head is very active and I must say a bit noisy even in the basement. To elaborate on this point I was minding my own business adjusting a new handle on my 16# sledgehammer and I was continuously distracted by the fizzyness of this beer. I was also pretty thirsty. the nutty malty nose is whispy and not super strong. Steady carbonation but not a complete cover of ead after the dwindle. ringed and center pillars. Nice. body is sweet medium lager but infused with the crisp dark malts, like the char after a fire. lacing is concentrated and wavy but not everywher round the glass. Hops tingle about the body as the malts take over and finish it all out. A highly drinkable and solid beer. Mike...many thanks yet again.

jb43 (1650) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - FEB 11, 2011
(bomber from mcox90, 5/8/10). Black color. Medium tan head. Light roasted malt aroma. Moderate roasted malt flavor. Avg duration. Smooth finish. Thin/slick texture. Soft to moderate carbonation. Fair lacing.

fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 7, 2009
Bottle. Aroma of chocolate, cocoa, light roasted malt. Flavor adds some nuts and bread. Pretty dry. Pretty tasty, seemed weak at first but grew on me.

danielcurtis81 (1519) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 23, 2009
22 oz bonus bottle from tendermorsel on BA. Pours a cola brown with no real head. Nose opens up with some caramel, pale and black malt tones. Flavors are cola like with caramel, and malty tones. There is a nice hop bitterness to go with this beer too. Additional notes of black pepper and brown sugar. Mouth is medium bodied with a mild hop bite to it.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 27, 2009
Deep ruby color pour with small tan head. Nose of smoked meats, chocolate, and roasted malts. Flavor is similar with a bitter finish. Good mouthfeel as well.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAY 18, 2009
Very black in color. Not much of a head on this one, but a very nice looking black lager. Had a decent viscous pour. Smoke and roast dominate. As the beer warms the beer becomes more pungent. Very crisp, but I wish it were a bit more silky/creamy. Very nice roast, and subtle smoke flavor. Overall, this beer just has an awesome roast and smoke flavor. As the description says, "crisp". I just wish it had a better palate; that is my main complaint. Picked up at Greens on Buford Highway.

nbutler11 (1267) - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - JAN 21, 2010
Rating #800. On tap at Barcade in Brooklyn. Pours coffee in color with an amber tint and a nice tan head. Smells and tastes primarily of dark cherries, wood, mild hops, and caramel. Great roasted character. The best I’ve had from Pennichuck, and really makes me sad that they’re no longer brewing.

Gachupines (1252) - USA - JUL 31, 2009
Black with a light brown head. Aroma is malts, with a little coffee and some light smokiness. Flavor is light, mainly a little sweet and sour malt with some hop presence in the finish. Overall, it’s a pleasant refreshing beer. Like most schwarzbier’s flavor without being too heavy for those who don’t like stouts and porters.