overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.18/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16/5   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
One of the most popular beers we brew; this is our version of a traditional brown ale. A truly tasty beer, Farmer Brown is low in bitterness with a smooth and malty finish. Like its namesake, it’s outstanding in it’s field!

Bill Becker (2008) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 21, 2017
From Oct 2008 I got this bottle in a trade with Yamar18. Thanks Kevin! Big pop on opening the 22oz bottle but no gushing. Big 3 finger head of foam with good sticky lacing and dark brown with reddish hues in colour. The smell...well..it doesn't smell like the typical English Brown Ale. I'm getting a lot of citrus and not much else. What is going on here? The taste is all citrus but not bitter...it definitely leans heavily toward the sour side and everything else that could be there is overwhelmed. Weird. I love sour beers but, frankly, not in Brown Ales. I also get some notes of pepper and a slight malty taste that just pops in once in a while and disappears as quickly as it showed up. I don't think I held on to this bottle longer than I should but maybe I did. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation is medium. Nice combo but this brew is difficult to drink for me. I can't recommend it as it is.

DiarmaidBHK (6151) - Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2017
Taster at brewpub. Pours dark brown with a khaki head. Leaves some lacing in the glass. Very malty and sweet on the nose and tongue. Finished clean.

Mariobiron (22) - St-Mathias-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, CANADA - APR 24, 2016
Très ordinaire. Je n’ai pas terminé la bouteille et la personne avec qui je l’ai partagée n’a pas terminé son verre. Décente sans plus.

madnorwegian (258) - FRANCE - SEP 5, 2014
Just ok. Head fades nearly immediately. Pretty bland taste. Lots of malt and not much else.

clowny (4) - Massachusetts, USA - JUN 19, 2014 does not count
A decent example of an American Brown Ale of which there are very few. Low IBU is sufficient to balance the mild malt sweetness. Taste does not linger into the next sip.

jtclockwork (17654) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 26, 2014
Bottle. Pours brown with tan head. Nose/taste of toasted nuts, caramel malt, grass and lightly soured bread. medium body.

UncleMcHoppy (33) - Old Tappan, New Jersey, USA - NOV 17, 2013
22 ounce bottle. Not a bad brown ale for a chilly and dark autumn afternoon. While brown ales are not among my favorite types of beer, this one is a commendable representation of the category. Nice dark color, white frothy head, and a malty finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BroSpud (2282) - , Massachusetts, USA - MAY 21, 2013
Included as part of a sampler at the restaurant. I found most of the beers here to be very well done. And the food was great too. Can’t go wrong with anything at this place.

Reynolds314 (3472) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 15, 2012
Nothin wrong with this one. A bit muted and boring. Taste is bready malty and medium sweet with a smooth crisp finish. Easy drinking and not a bad time.

cjl6 (57) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 11, 2011
Dare I say this is undercarbonated? Pours with no head. Sweet, heavy in body. Nice toasty malt flavor, but cant get over how sweet it is.