RATINGS: 124   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Basement Batch is is a traditional American-style Pale Ale. Much like our infamouse award-winning choc beer, it's handcrafted with only the finest ingredients. Starting with a base of American-grown 2-row malted barley we add liberal amounts of caramel and Victory malts to give Basement Batch a rich, almost nutty, malt backbone to complement the unique citrus character Cascade hops, which are the gold standard for this style. Like all of our choc beers, Basment Batch is "bottle conditioned," which means that it's fermented a second time while in the bottle. This long-established method of carbonating beer will leave a thin layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. So, pour slowly and carefully to maintain clarity,and enjoy!

ben4321 (6607) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 8, 2011
Location: 12 oz bottle from Colonial Wine and Spirits, 6/8/11, as Choc Basement Batch

Aroma: The nose is fairly slight, some light fruity, pine, and herbal hops and light malty notes
Appearance: It pours a slightly cloudy orange color with a fluffy white head and good lacing
Flavor: The taste has is pine, herbs, and citrus hops, light sweet and medium-heavy bitter
Palate: The body is fairly creamy, smooth on the palate with a later tingle and a rather dry finish to it
Overall Impression: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It wasn’t special or anything, but it was better then I was expecting after the Belgian Wheat I had from these guys yesterday was a real disappointment. A solid APA.

VengefulOdin (193) - , Missouri, USA - MAY 4, 2011
12 ounce stubby bottle poured into a juice glass (I’m travelling for work, so beggars can’t be choosers). Color is a dark gold to amber, very similar to an apple juice. That goes for the carbonation as well, as the beer has quite a bit of fizz. The head bursts forward but doesn’t hang around long, as it collapses down to just a skimming over the top. Appearance is somewhat murky, but that’s my fault – a closer inspection of the bottle reveals a pretty hefty sediment of yeast. Aroma is subdued, but again could be on me – whenever I travel my sinuses usually take a beating and this trip has been no exception. Some mild and subdued hop aroma with a little bit of malt. That’s really all I can get out of the nose at this time. Taste is surprisingly hop-centric, with familiar notes of grapefruit bursting through. My first thought is that this is clearly a beer with Cascade hops. Using a magnifying glass to read the marketing speak on the label and would you look at that, Cascade. Oh, and it’s bottle conditioned too. Guess I should have read that at the outset. Malt profile becomes more pronounced as you drink it, and I think that it’s not so much bready, but more nutty – something like almonds come to mind. Mouthfeel is light to medium. The carbonation is a little bit heavy but it helps scrub the residual hop bitterness off your tongue. There’s a little bit of malt sweetness up front with the hops to help balance things out, but it finishes dry. There’s just a hint of the alcohol phenol on the back of the throat when drinking the beer – this is a flavor I’ve found that I’m very susceptible to, so your mileage may vary. The light mouthfeel and dry finish seem to tip me off that this is a beer that’s meant for consumption in mass quantities, which is fine – it goes quite well on a late-spring evening like tonight. Overall I’d prefer the body to have just a little bit more in terms of malt character and I’d like to have the alcohol tones down a little bit (again, probably just my preference). This beer certainly doesn’t break any new grounds in terms of the Pale Ale style, but it doesn’t do much wrong either.

emarkd (100) - Georgia, USA - APR 28, 2011
Im not sure what I’m drinking here, but I like it. Pours kinda plain. Hazy orange with a small white head that fades quickly. Aroma is mostly sour, which I did not expect. Sour apple is the predominant note by far, followed by a decent caramel sweetness. Dark fruity smells in the background. Tastes sour, too. Apple again, pine bitterness, a touch of alcohol heat. Finishes bitter and quite dry with a touch of metallic aftertaste. I don’t know if this is how the basement batch is supposed to taste, but this apa tastes more like a weak sour. Pretty good, regardless.

Thorpe429 (5035) - , Illinois, USA - APR 22, 2011
Thanks to a generous trader for sending this my way. Served in a tulip. Pours copper with a good deal of transparency. The head that forms is pretty short and doesn’t last for very long, eventually fading into a thin bit of a collar with a speck or two of lace on the side of the glass. The nose brings some very light citrus hops along with a mild floral character. Some bread dough there as well. Mild caramel presence after that. The taste brings mostly light caramel and bread crust with a mild hop character. Very slight bitterness in the finish after a medium body. Drinks fine without flaws, but quite bland and uninspiring. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 03-04-2011

Uriel (146) - San Jose, California, USA - MAR 24, 2011
The aroma is a little sweet, kind of citrusy; not quite like orange blossom. It didn’t have much head, and there’s not much aroma unless I’ve got my nose right in the glass looking for it. It’s a good smell, just not strong. It’s orangey gold in color, with a touch of haze. Not much bubbling to be seen here, especially with the minimal head. No, I lie. There’s bubbles, but they’re tiny. :) The initial flavor is kind of sour, turning quickly to a reasonably bitter hoppy flavor, ending with the kind of bite that I associate with darker roasted malts. This doesn’t taste like a very malty beer to me. It’s pretty light, not at all sticky or thick. It pretty much slides right on down the throat and is gone. Given the tiny bubbles, it’s not too carbonated.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - FEB 16, 2011
12oz bottle. Rating #110. Darkish hazy orange/gold color with a nice little white head. Light hops and a crisp maltiness, a little bready. Light on the tongue, mild hops and easy to drink. Nice little aftertaste that was left lingering on the back of my palate. Not too shabby considering it does have some age on it. (1482)

paultheguru (644) - Parker, Colorado, USA - JAN 23, 2011
Poured into a snifter. Nice burnt orange color with a solid white head. Good retention rate and nice lacing. Very light hop aroma. Some pine and other earthy tones. Some sweet aromas, caramel, and tropical fruits. The smell reminds me of the islands, which is funny because it is brewed in Oklahoma. Very mild taste, but nice use of caramel and victory malts. It somewhat reminds me of Gordon Biersch brews, not sure why. The cascade hops are subtle, but balances out this APA. Mild carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel, but it feels as if something is missing. Also, it feels a little thick for the style. Not a bad brew, but not over the top.

kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - NOV 27, 2010
(bottle) slightly hazy amber with off white head. Faint citrus aroma. Flavor is slightly sweet biscuit malt with a hint of citrus.

Bif (2281) - St. Charles, Missouri, USA - NOV 16, 2010
Bottle- Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a small head and some lacing. Fresh grain and citrus aroma. Smells inviting. Starts slightly malty with a pleasant citrus flavor. Has a nice bitter finish. Quite refreshing. Fairly medium body, crisp & clean. Quite smooth and well balanced. good easy drinker, very enjoyable. Came as part of a Choc 6-pack mixer. Worth having again.

Onionkid (376) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - NOV 14, 2010
Bottle. Aroma of caramel and citrusy hops. Great taste IMO! Has a malt base with a great hoppy, citrus body that has a caramel taste throughout. Medium mouthfeel with a bit of spice to the body, and a nice and obvious bitter finish, but one that’s subtle and remarkable. I gotta say, I think this beer actually has a lot going for it. For being a pale ale, I think this exceeds what my expectations were for it. Most of the time when I have a Choc beer, I come away disappointed. Which is a shame, because any beers from this region I’d like to support. But this one -- this is the first time I’ve fallen in love with a Choc beer! Shows me that hey - maybe my complaints about their other beers are more from my lack of knowledge than their competence as brewers, cause I do consider myself a hophead and I *do* love this beer. Will definitely be picking up a few more bottles of this when the opportunity arises! Definitely a pleasant surprise! 6.2% alcohol.