overall
Style: Sour/Wild Ale
Harelbeke, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1584   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Aged? Many beers have a long maturation, but this one has only 24-36 months in oak barrels. Pale? This beer has an old gold to bronze color, rather than the burgundy more common in the breweries of West Flanders. This is the ‘mother beer,’ used in various quantities to blend with the other Petrus beers, and to give them their unique and very distinctive taste. This mother beer is rather sour with a bite like the best Brut Champagnes. A connoisseur’s delight! The only one of its kind on the U.S. market.

beerledgend (1196) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 15, 2002
Big head cloudy golden colour. Floar nose, fruity tatse almost tropical. unusal beer almost like a Lambic lager.
Thaks to Gusler drinking this has set new standard.

dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 12, 2002
Gueuze/Lambic?? no, not even close, but good effort none the less,one of my favorite non-lambic soured Belgian beers.Cidery aroma,high carbonation,crisp,dry..may I have another please?

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - APR 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2003 I remember MJ's notes calling this a love it or hate it beer and that certainly shows below. I thought it was outstanding. Wonderful orange/lemon and ginger in the nose and on the palate, while the sourness in the finish is extremely refreshing. A little musty and perfumey in the aroma while I also get some nutmeg spice in the taste. Predomainantly sweet, could even verge on syrupy, but the dryness in the finish strikes a great balance. I received this as a trial offer, maybe I;ll join the great Belgian beer club.

michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 14, 2002
Maybe I had a bad bottle, but this was terrible. So sour I would have rather been biting on a lemon. Could not even drink half of it. For a much better Flanders Red, get your hands on the New Glarus Belgian Red.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - APR 9, 2002
Excellent. Tastes almost like a gueuze or lambic beer. Very vinous and sour, with a coppery aftertaste. Very nice creamy head on this too.

Aggie80 (831) - Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2002
Interesting! The aroma and initial flavor is that of aged sherry, with just a hint of cherry. Nice head and lace. Color is that of a nice apple cider. A champagne type of dryness with just a little coppery after taste. This comes across as very dry.

Kodos (205) - USA - MAR 21, 2002
Excellent beer! If you enjoyed sweettarts as a kid <or an adult> or any type of sweet/sour dish, this is for you. Impressive!

Oakes (19011) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 15, 2002
Okay, I read Bill's rating and I'm thinking 'what's wrong with that?' Golden with a substantial nose (brett, fruit, wine - reminds of Rodenbach Red). The body is light, vibrant, complex, acidic. So drinkable, so refreshing. If you like this, check out Vapeur d'Antan.

TAR (2794) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - FEB 24, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2004 Honeyed lemon. Thick and sticky white foam. Attractive aroma of lemon rind, brett, and rose petals. Deeper swirls brings out sweetish malts and rich toasted oak. Soft but creamy carbonation. Iron comes and goes, with continual acidity and a restrained brett flare. Finishes slightly moist and sweet with a gorgeously harmonic culmination of oak and toasted malt hulls. Absolutely amazing.

billb (245) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JAN 5, 2002
Youch! I guess I'm the jerk again. Gus sent this to me and I hate to sound ungrateful or go against what a beer god says, but I think this style is not for me (maybe when I get older :>). A big sweetness countered by a sourness. The smell is of old gym socks and the finish becomes dry but the sweetness lingers. The beer pours nicely and leaves some lacing which is always a plus.